Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hanging Cabinet for my Chisel Problem

Hanging Cabinet for my Chisel Problem

Amassed quite a few over the past several months, but been distracted by this new guy to do something about it.
    IMG_0632.jpg

Ended up building a hanging wall cabinet for them and some other odds and ends.
    IMG_6599.jpg
    IMG_6560.jpg
    IMG_0818.jpg
    IMG_0817.jpg
    IMG_6554.jpg

Was initially worried about the strength of the piano hinges especially given the double "doors" and the larger slicks but they seem to be holding quite well with some larger screws.

That is a very nice hanging cabinet. I like the saw till too. Do you have plans for them you are willing to share ?
    Best regards

Lasse Hilbrandt

Very well done!

Hi Zuye

I'd be distracted by a Golden Retriever pup as well. We have had them for a few decades. This is Rufus as a bench pup 12 years ago ..

Now I have a similar chisel cabinet. It is hung on a french cleat, which is screwed into a brick wall.

My concern about your layout is how you get to the chisels at the rear tier? As I mentioned, my cabinet has a similar setup, but the tiers are staggered differently. Nevertheless, although the tiers are staggered, I need to remove the slicks to get to the bench chisels at the very rear. They are at the rear as they are less used than other chisels (I do have a problem ) ...

Regards from Perth

Derek

Very nice.....the Japanese chisels are just gorgeous, as is the cabinet.

Very nice, but I fail to see the "chisel problem"

VERY, very nice work!!!!! love the plane storage also....You gave me some ideas!!!! Thnx for posting.
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    My concern about your layout is how you get to the chisels at the rear tier?
    Picture #5 shows the solution. The double tiers are in a hinged frame that allows access to both sides...and the moderately cavernous cabinet behind. I like it. I will likely borrow heavily (steal) from the design.
    Brett
    Peters Creek, Alaska

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Derek and Zuye, a double thank you both for posting your chisel storage walls. Both look great and the bonus for me is that looking at both of your quantities I can now safely say I DO NOT have a chisel problem.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Nice cabinet Zuye!
    Cute pup too.

Variation on a Theme - Plane Problem Too?

First of all, if you have a cabinet fully dedicated to chisels, my guess is you must have plane problem too!!!

Here's my variation on the theme of storing the chisels in tiers.
    Attachment 335637Attachment 335638Attachment 335639
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Anderson NH View Post
    Derek and Zuye, a double thank you both for posting your chisel storage walls. Both look great and the bonus for me is that looking at both of your quantities I can now safely say I DO NOT have a chisel problem.
    Dave, you think that THIS represents a chisel problem?!

Regards from Perth

Derek

Thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Lasse Hilbrandt View Post
    That is a very nice hanging cabinet. I like the saw till too. Do you have plans for them you are willing to share ?
    Kinda winged them. They're all 3/4 pine board, the saw till was a 4'x1' split at an angle to make the sides and mostly pocket screwed. The cabinet was handy tooled, jointed 6" wide boards and dovetailed/dadoed. I can get you some more pictures if interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Hi Zuye

I'd be distracted by a Golden Retriever pup as well. We have had them for a few decades. This is Rufus as a bench pup 12 years ago ..

Now I have a similar chisel cabinet. It is hung on a french cleat, which is screwed into a brick wall.

My concern about your layout is how you get to the chisels at the rear tier? As I mentioned, my cabinet has a similar setup, but the tiers are staggered differently. Nevertheless, although the tiers are staggered, I need to remove the slicks to get to the bench chisels at the very rear. They are at the rear as they are less used than other chisels (I do have a problem ) ...

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Yours looks great, actually used it as inspiration when figuring out what to do with mine! As Brett mentioned, the middle "door" has access from both sides. With the first door opened, the paring chisels are accessible, opening the second, slicks and rasps are accessible.

Well Zuye, I think your swing out doors are brilliant!

Regards from Perth

Derek

...I wish I had such problems

Can't help but focus on the chisels more than the cabinet! But, the cabinet's very nice too