Thread: I need suggestions

I need suggestions

Here is a basic drawing of a 23' x 6' conference table I am working on. I posted in another area asking for suggestions regarding the interlocking edges.
    FYI this table is designed in 5 sections, sitting on stringers supported by pedestals. The sections can be set up along the conference room walls when the room is used for entertaining purposes. The edge will be 3.5" tapered mahogany. Table to be constructed either out of 1.125" plywood with a laminate top, or MDF with a laminate top.
    What do you guys suggest I go for regarding the top material and thickness? Thanks in advance
    HP Conference Table 2.jpg

Jonathon, firstly, I would recommend using ply as the substrate rather than MDF. It is a commercial application and ply will stand up to heavy use better, and your mahogany edge will bond better to ply. For the top finish, have you considered a heavy duty vinyl type finish? Back in about 2002 or 2003, I built a 36 foot curved table for the Gold Coast City Council Chambers in Queensland Australia and it was actually a combination of resilient vinyl (as it feels nice to write on) and

polished birch as shown. (Photo taken during an address from visitors from San Diego). I can't remember the brand of the vinyl, but is was a special bench top material. Otherwise, laminate is hard wearing and conference attendees can write on their clipboards. For thickness, go for the heaviest grade available and use a reputable brand. Here in Aust we seem to be getting thin stuff unloaded onto us from the big neighbout to the north and you have to check that you are getting decent quality.