Thread: Beaded Fluted & Burned

Beaded Fluted & Burned

Reclaimed 16/4 cherry pith plank that ended up in a 10" x 3.25" bowl. Cell phone pics don't show the deep red features of this 70+ year old stock but it's pretty all by itself with just a walnut oil finish. Might buff it out later this week but might just leave it as is.

Piece was beaded on the rim with 2 sizes and burned with a wire. Beads on the bottom are all the same size and burned with thin laminate. The 8 routed flutes were burned with a spoon pen. Thought I was going to bead the entire outside surface when I started but had a "wild creative moment" during the process and decided to flute it. Didn't like it much after burning the fluted areas but after applying the walnut oil, it "popped" nicely and I actually kind of like the results.

What I don't like is I used 2 different sizes for the beads on the rim . If I had it to do over, I'd make them the same size but I guess that's for the next one.
    cbb1.jpgcbb3.jpgcbb4.jpg
    Member Turners Anonymous Pittsburgh, PA

Very nice, I like it a lot. The routed flutes are really interesting as well as the beads.

Thanks for posting and sharing your personal critique. I particularly appreciate you sharing your views for next time.

How did you manage to route out the flutes so nicely on the curve? Beautiful piece of workmanship, David.
    Maker of Fine Kindling, and small metal chips on the floor.
    Embellishments to the Stars - or wannabees.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Greenbaum View Post
    How did you manage to route out the flutes so nicely on the curve? Beautiful piece of workmanship, David.
    With a Alisam index wheel and a Flutemaster with Ridgid router & cove bit. Did each groove in 3 passes. 6 of those grooves came out flawless but 2 of them left pretty good burn marks. Tried to hand sand but thought I was going to destroy the shape before I got rid of the burn marks so I just burned over the entire groove. Like I said before, I didn't like it much at this point but after applying the walnut oil, kind of like the way it turned out.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Heffernan View Post
    Very nice, I like it a lot. The routed flutes are really interesting as well as the beads.

Thanks for posting and sharing your personal critique. I particularly appreciate you sharing your views for next time.
    Thanks Alan

6. Pretty nifty combination of techniques on this one David.....very nice result! Aesthetically, the foot might be a little better if it had a dovetail shape rather than straight sides, and perhaps a little less height on it as well.....maybe just about 3/16" tall on the foot.

Nice work indeed!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

David - I really like the color, grain flow, shape, and beading/burning (guess I like it all). Did you use a beading tool?

Thanks,

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Goetzke View Post
    David - I really like the color, grain flow, shape, and beading/burning (guess I like it all). Did you use a beading tool?

Thanks,

Mike
    Yea, I have a set of D-Way beaders.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    Pretty nifty combination of techniques on this one David.....very nice result! Aesthetically, the foot might be a little better if it had a dovetail shape rather than straight sides, and perhaps a little less height on it as well.....maybe just about 3/16" tall on the foot.

Nice work indeed!
    Thanks Roger. Agree on the shape of the foot itself. It's kind of hard to see from these pics but the bottom rim of the bowl curves up into the bowl bottom all the way to the foot. Don't know exactly but I'd say the foot doesn't stick out from the bottom rim area more than 1/8". I did think about it but decided I didn't want the bowl to sit on a bead.