Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A dovetail a day (sorta) ... long winded

First real dovetails

After the last dovetail for practice, here's my first ever dovetailed box, and a big one it is. It's for my tool chest, 24"x36"x21". Not bad for the first attempt. Some gaps here and there, but it will be painted anyway. And it glued up square which is quite a relief.

Things that really helped me get this done more neatly was using Derek's blue tape trick for the pins and clamping a quick fence on the base line to make sure my chisel paring was true vertical. Using the fence ended up speeding up my chopping job a lot because I wasn't worried about vertical. I consider the fence 'training wills', though; I will keep practicing without it to get used to feeling true vertical with the chisel.

chest1.jpg

Great work! I don't really see any gaps from here.

Blog Entries
    Most times the gaps can only be seen by the maker.

Nice tool chest Augusto.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Nice work on this cabinet!

Thanks, gentlemen!

Fll disclosure: That's the glamour shot, showing the best side. There are some small gaps on the other side. Enough to notice from a short distance, but not too big. The pain will definitely cover them up

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Augusto Orosco View Post
    Thanks, gentlemen!

Fll disclosure: That's the glamour shot, showing the best side. There are some small gaps on the other side. Enough to notice from a short distance, but not too big. The pain will definitely cover them up
    If they bother you at all, thick shavings or shims can be glued into the gaps and then trimmed to hide them from all but a well trained eye.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Forgive my snail pace... this is my second set of dovetails; this time for the tills of the tool chest. Blue tape still invaluable for this (particularly with the walnut fronts), but I don't need a fence anymore to pare waste vertically!

This is the best side, but the other side are not horrible. Still a lot of room for improvement, but am pretty happy with where I am right now.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Augusto Orosco; 01-05-2017 at 3:43 PM.

Looks very good from here. What angle are you using for the tails/pins? You are right about blue tape and walnut. I can't see anything on dark wood without the tape and it is easier to cut to the tape than a line anyway.
    David

Quote Originally Posted by David Eisenhauer View Post
    Looks very good from here. What angle are you using for the tails/pins? You are right about blue tape and walnut. I can't see anything on dark wood without the tape and it is easier to cut to the tape than a line anyway.
    Thanks, David! The tails are a 6:1 ratio. I do tails first.

Those DTs look GREAT!!! esp if training and intro....Thanks
    Jerry

Your dovetails look great!

One thing I found that helped my students (in my hand cut dovetails class) is a device like the one sold by LV. It allows you to check whether your tails are square on the sides. I use a slightly different tool but it does the same thing, and the LV is lower cost. You can't use a regular double square because the blade is too wide to get between the tails.

LV shows a picture of how to use it in the link I posted. Having a storage case for it is a good idea because the small end of the small blade could be bent if the tool knocked around.

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 01-05-2017 at 11:25 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Thanks for this thread, Augusto. We noobs traveling in your wake greatly benefit from threads like this.

Herv

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    Your dovetails look great!

One thing I found that helped my students (in my hand cut dovetails class) is a device like the one sold by LV. It allows you to check whether your tails are square on the sides. I use a slightly different tool but it does the same thing, and the LV is lower cost. You can't use a regular double square because the blade is too wide to get between the tails.

LV shows a picture of how to use it in the link I posted. Having a storage case for it is a good idea because the small end of the small blade could be bent if the tool knocked around.

Mike
    Yes. Mine is not from LV but from Sterling Tools; it really has helped me diagnose and correct issues, I love it!

Quote Originally Posted by Herv Peairs View Post
    Thanks for this thread, Augusto. We noobs traveling in your wake greatly benefit from threads like this.

Herv
    Glad it helps! After sawing/coping/chopping/paring about 100 pins and tails (which is really a small number) the improvement has been dramatic. And more importantly, I am better equipped now to better identify what specific aspects of the process need the most improvement. As with everything, it is a matter to get your hands dirty and get going.