Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First big build - Chest of Drawers

First big build - Chest of Drawers

As my current dresser is an absolute piece of garbage from Ikea that is falling apart, I've been thinking about making a new one myself for a while. I put it off for a bit thinking I'd concentrate on a new bench, but getting going on that proved frustrating, so I decided to put that aside and concentrate on the dresser. I found some nice cherry and peruvian walnut at Peach State. It's been slow going, but I'm getting into the swing of it now.

Progress so far consists of the two side panels that double as the carcass sides and legs. I made some gaffes along the way but I think I've done pretty well at hiding them! And the walnut works wonderfully with hand tools. I'm not so sold on the cherry, which seemed...sticky? at times when I was trying to flatten it, even right after sharpening. I don't know if it's figured, just peculiar to the board or if I need to step up the sharpness factor.

My Not-A-Bench is actually working out ok, thanks to a dinky planing stop I stuck near the end of the bench attached to dowels, and especially thanks to a Moxon vise from Tools For Working Wood that I finally shelled out for.

Hopefully the attached photos work...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Peruvian Walnut is one of my favorite woods for its even dark color which almost goes black when varnished. Nice choices. I love the contrast. Looking forward to this build.

Looks nice. I like the cement bags

Sticky cherry? Not quite sure what you mean, but when you wax the sole of the plane from time to time it will glide easier. Cherry is usually an easy wood to plane.

Very nice start. The Not-A-Bench is working just fine apparently. As Kees says, wax is your plane's friend. That is the first thing I grab for when planning is not working right. I have a block of paraffin that I have used for years on band saw blades, handsaws and plane soles, but lost it somewhere in the shop recently, so I opened my can of Johnsons and have been using it lately with very good results. It also keeps the planes from rusting as I wipe the whole plane down at the same time.
    David

I do have a taper candle that I use to wax up the sole; not sure if it's the ideal for that purpose, but for some reason I've had a hard time finding paraffin or any of the other generally recommended lubricants when I remember to look. I'm just finding that my plane skips on the cherry, or occasionally digs in and gets stuck, when with the same setting it glides over the walnut with ease. This isn't with a particularly deep set blade.

Reinis, sand bags, but same premise! Not-A-Bench only moves on me sometimes...

I bought a block of paraffin at Michaels arts and crafts store. Probably more than I'll ever need

Gulf wax is sold in 1 lb box. Often used for canning and usually found in super markets or farm/garden supply centers that carry canning stuff. Walmart & Kroger usually have it.

Hi Adam,

Looks like your on your way, it looks good!

Stew

Paraffin wax is typically stocked in the Canning Section of most stores. Originally used for sealing canned goods (think Mason Jars), then used for "waxing" surfboards to facilitate footing, then carpenter/ framers used it before "Green Sinkers" or nail guns (shave a paraffin bar into a gallon of gas, pour in to "keg-o-nails and set it on fire to melt the wax - made the 16d go in easy but when the wood dried and shrunk the nails would be pushed out a bit) and now we use it to make planes and blades work better.

We are nothing, if not creative, as a society.

The candle you used is probably made of parafin too. So if that doesn't help, I think the next thing is taking lighter shavings and/or sharpen the blade better.

I'll have to try some things when I get to work on the cherry for my drawer fronts. Currently I'm cutting down my stock for the drawer frames, and this has involved my first real adventure with rough-sawn stock. I feel like I am making a pretty good fist of getting it flattened, but I feel like there is a tendency to get really close to flat and then things start getting interesting as you start to chase down all the little high and low spots. Sort of feels like you start chasing your tail after a while. What sort of strategies have you guys used to be efficient with this step? It's one thing to hog a bunch off and get all the obvious bumps and hollows out, but the nitty-gritty of the flattening is causing me to waste time. Is there a point at which you say "it'll do"?

This thing is finally starting to look like it might be a piece of furniture. Ripping and jointing the drawer frames is kinda making me want a table saw though. At the very least, a sawbench is the next shop jig on the list. Wondering if there is a more efficient way to do those (minus the table saw...)?

I haven't even started on the drawer guides yet, but I do have the rest of the front and back rails ready once the joinery on the legs is done.

20160502_174322.jpg 20160502_174344.jpg

Nice work so far. Impressed you've done it sans a TS.

How are the top and bottom rails attached?

Are you planning on putting in drawer dividers? How will they be attached.

The top rails are dovetailed in, but i just used garden variety M&T for the bottom. The drawer dividers will be the same, and I'll probably also use M&T for the side rails. I toyed with the idea of using sliding dovetails, but I didn't think this project was appropriate for my first time using that joint.