Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The $1000 Radial Arm Saw

The $1000 Radial Arm Saw

A neighbor at the farm asked me what I thought a fair price was for a radial arm saw he had, an old Delta model not all that nice. I told him he could have my old radial arm saw if that gave him a clue. He "strongly" disagreed and listed it for a thousand dollars but is willing to accept $950. I tried to tell him they were not sought after these days, but he didn't believe it.

lol he'll figure it out.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

I have a couple alerts setup that email me when there's a hit on CL. There's some moronic resale shop that has been selling a Delta Model 10 RAS for $945 for close to a year now. 3 phase, no table. I think I emailed them twice trying to nicely tell them they're asking about 5 times the market value of the saw. No response. Guess they have plenty of floor space!

Mind if I ask how/where you set up these alerts?

We have an old one taking up valuable real estate..

Been considering what else could be made with it from a mad scientist sort of way.It's become quite humorous,for 6 months it may be a chainsaw sharpening idea.Still it sits...

Next itineration,make a belt grinder,lasts a few months.Then there's always the,mount a router on it notion.Still it sits.

Would say the above has been going on over 10 years.If someone came along with any sort of passion,which would have me questioning their sanity,I'd help them load it,and never look back.

Well, you tried. Sounds like it's gonna sit there a while at that price. Another example of what Forrest Gummp's Momma always said....

New England, in a town on the way to nowhere
    Too bad, they're a much maligned machine. Yes, yes- there are quite a few that were just junk from the day they were made. And most of those that are used had the crap kicked out of them.But a well tuned RAS is a very handy machine. I have a 14" Delta 40B that is a joy to use. I knock down stock to length, cut multiples, easily layout and cut long steep angles, made miles of dentil mouldings, cut mitered stair stringers, on & on, etc., etc..
    I wouldn't be without it.

You'll like this one. I had a chance, many years ago, to purchase two 12" Delta/Rockwell RAS's at auction. Paid $200 for the pair. I changed the motor rotation on one, reversed the blade, installed a unique chip collector on the front, and use that saw for cross-cutting stock and cutting dadoes. The second one had a bad motor so, being a machinist, I fabricated a mount for a PC690 router and use it for cutting dadoes. Vertical accuracy leaves a bit to be desired, but if you take your time, it works well. Great use for two saws that would have ended up in the scrap pile.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Burt View Post
    Mind if I ask how/where you set up these alerts?
    You can use the CraigsList Pro smartphone app to do it.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

I just sold my fully restored DeWalt GWI for $220 and happy to get that.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Dye View Post
    I changed the motor rotation on one, reversed the blade, installed a unique chip collector on the front, and use that saw for cross-cutting stock and cutting dados.
    Just curious, what is the advantage of reversing the blade rotation direction? Do you still pull the blade thru the cut?

PM me his address so I can jump on this bargain.
    Cry "Havoc," and let slip the dogs of bench.

I was socially distant before it was cool.

A little authority corrupts a lot.

When I was about 20, I really wanted a Toyota 4X4 pickup. There was one in the classifieds that I had my eye on. Went out, drove it, told the owner I was interested. An older gentleman. Told him I liked the truck but that his asking price was almost $1K higher than Kelly Blue Book valued it at, and would he be willing to make a more fair selling price? He looked bewildered and said his price was what the truck was worth to him. I walked away but always wondered how long he had to hold onto it for.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

I bought a nice Hammond tube organ for $100, and the owner was glad to get rid of it. She originally listed it for $1000. Craigslist can be a harsh teacher.

Fifty years ago, the price was about $2600!
    Cry "Havoc," and let slip the dogs of bench.

I was socially distant before it was cool.

A little authority corrupts a lot.

I tried selling mine for 5 years moved it twice. Finally told a friend it was his if he wanted it but I would not load it.