Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The $1000 Radial Arm Saw

Quote Originally Posted by Steve H Graham View Post
    I bought a nice Hammond tube organ for $100, and the owner was glad to get rid of it. She originally listed it for $1000. Craigslist can be a harsh teacher.

Fifty years ago, the price was about $2600!
    Radial arm saws and Shopsmiths seem to have the same problem. Just because somebody paid $1600 for it years ago, doesn't mean it is worth $1000 today.

Steve

Actually, around here, clean ShopSmiths have been going up in value. Nice ones which include one accessory, like the band saw, list at roughly $750 to $1100. The ones that look like they have been outside under a blue tarp go for $3-500.

Getting back to the RAS, I recently bought a nice clean 40 year old Delta/Rockwell 12" turret for $350. Nice shape, needs minor work on the table, etc. It will become my second RAS, for dados and the like.

This one will replace a super clean JC Penny 10" turret saw (Rockwell), which is an absolute beauty, but turned out to be a bit underpowered for dado use on hardwoods.
    Last edited by Rick Potter; 04-14-2016 at 12:06 PM.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

There's a guy on our local CL trying to sell a nice industrial Delta (5hp, 3ph) RAS for $1450. He's been running the ad for at least a year. It's a nice saw but you scroll down the same page and someone else is selling a not as nice RAS for $100.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Agreed with others- no sense in talking with him about it again. He needs to learn at his own pace!

my response to sellers like that is to very politely say "I don't dispute that this whatever is worth y$ to you but is only worth z$ to me. Here is my phone number if you ever decide to sell it close to z$ - thanks and best of luck" - as long as I remain polite and respectful things have ended well and I have had call-backs now & then

That ad is a frustrating example of a real common misunderstanding of the way advertising and selling works. And it's a direct result of people who are not advertisers or sellers by vocation, training or nature having access to free advertising nowadays. The most common piece of research missing when people price their stuff is the knowing the market selling price - versus listing the highest asking price they have ever seen or just guessing based on what they paid new.
    As for the value and utility of my 1948 12" DeWalt GP RAS, don't even get me started!

Especially when working with thicker stock, you have more control over the speed of the cut. The reverse rotation is tougher doing the dadoes, in part because of the splintering. But that is why I have the other machine with the PC690. I'll try to post pictures of that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Burt View Post
    Mind if I ask how/where you set up these alerts?
    There are several ways to do it, but one of the easiest is to use a service like https://ifttt.com (If This, Then That). It lets you set up "recipes" where you specify the triggering criteria and the resulting actions. For example "If there is a search result on CL for widgets, then send me a text message (or an email, or turn on my wifi-controlled flashing neon sign, etc.)
    ~Garth

Quote Originally Posted by Garth Almgren View Post
    There are several ways to do it, but one of the easiest is to use a service like https://ifttt.com (If This, Then That). It lets you set up "recipes" where you specify the triggering criteria and the resulting actions. For example "If there is a search result on CL for widgets, then send me a text message (or an email, or turn on my wifi-controlled flashing neon sign, etc.)
    I was going to recommend ifttt as well. They have a smart phone app and you can get very specific. I've had one for a Dewalt 735x for a while but no hits on CL. EBay at retail but I'm looking for something cheaper. You can also create your custom search and just bookmark it. Every time you click the bookmark it will re-run the search. I would still go with ifttt though.

Blog Entries
    Could you make a really rough surface grinder out of it? Just mount a grinding wheel and build a table that moves left and right.
    Something like that would be just about right to flatten the bottoms of my cast iron fry pans.

If his saw looks like this, PM quick!image.jpg

Eric. The banks and insurance companies use the NADAguide to determine the value of a vehicle. The blue book is typically higher. I have no idea who uses the blue book.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Lizek View Post
    Eric. The banks and insurance companies use the NADAguide to determine the value of a vehicle. The blue book is typically higher. I have no idea who uses the blue book.

Everyone else?
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    I have a couple alerts setup that email me when there's a hit on CL. There's some moronic resale shop that has been selling a Delta Model 10 RAS for $945 for close to a year now. 3 phase, no table. I think I emailed them twice trying to nicely tell them they're asking about 5 times the market value of the saw. No response. Guess they have plenty of floor space!
    The only thing more pointless than arguing with someone on a forum is telling a CL poster they are wrong. My wife tells me that if I don't like what people say or post, I should stop reading them. She might be right.

My general rule of thumb for CL is 1/2 of new. We sold my wife's John Deere rider at that price - not 1/2 of what she paid but 1/2 of what a new equivalent mower cost new with the accessories she had. But it was also the start of mowing season when people were in the market for mowers. We had lots of calls. I also looked at the other adds and we were in the low end of the pack. Not the cheapest but not the highest either. And it had low hours.

I sold a nice woodstove for abou 25% of new. But I didn't think that market was as good as the mower market. The first guy who looked at it wouldn't pay that and I sent him away. The next couple were thrilled to have it. The paint was also nicked a little on the top.

I sold my DC for about 1/3 of new with a dented cartridge filter which I didn't include in the calculation. Again I thought that was a limited market. I sold it to a nice young man, the first to look at it. I had another guy offer me less without seeing it.

I still think 1/2 of then new pricing is a fair starting point but for stuff really in demand you may be able to go higher and if you want rid of the stuff and/or the market is limited, you should think of going lower. People that ignore that might get lucky, it only takes one buyer, but I think they will typically be disappointed.

I also like my radial arm saw but I probably wouldn't buy a new one. One of these days sliding CMS makers will figure out everybody doesn't want to have a 3 foot wide area for the saw and maybe they will kill off the RAS market entirely. If Hitachi were to move the bevel knob off the back of theirs, for instance, they would about be there. I don't know why they ignore this. For a saw in the shop, needing more than 2 feet width is an issue. Kapek may be there but it is hugely expensive.