Thread: Dewalt miter saw dust collection

Dewalt miter saw dust collection

I've done some searching to find an answer to this, but have yet to have any luck. I just got the DW715 12" CMS for my b-day and a Ryobi shop vac to boot. I had every intention of using the new vac for dust collection on the saw, but the 2 1/2" hose is way too big for the saw's dust port. I spent over an hour tonight at the local borg trying to find a PVC/conduit/shop vac connector that would fit the dust port. It isn't inch. It isn't metric. Nothing fits! I couldn't even find any sort of adapter on Dewalt's website. The rubber universal adapter they sell fit inside the dust port, but chokes it down to about 1" ID, which wouldn't be good for much of anything.

I know my vac won't get all the dust, but it does well enough with the hose just perched on the dust port. It just won't stay there.

I don't get it. They made a tool what's only role in life is to make sawdust, yet is completely incompatible with any modern shop vac adapters?

If you have any ideas to make this work that don't involve duct tape please let me know. If I can't figure this one out it's going back to the store to be replaced with something I can hook my shop vac to.

This should work for you, can be cut to the size you need. http://www.amazon.com/Shop-Vac-906-8.../dp/B00004RHKU

I am using this hose from Home Depot on my Dewalt CMS
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-10...2570/100375877
    Mike

rockler makes a hose with 2 rubber "ends" that they say fit anything made. So far, I haven;t found anything it won't fit, one end or the other.
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

I use a "Bucket Head" vacuum from Home Depot that sits on top of a 5-gal bucket. The hose that came with it fits the DW dust port just fine.

Just be warned (regardless of what vacuum you use) that you'll only catch a small portion of the total dust generated by the CMS through the dust collection port; far more will end up all around the saw.

That saw has better dust collection than most miter saws since it isn't a slider and has a decent sized port directly behind the blade. I suggest as much vacuum and as large a hose as you can manage. Also keep it as short as you can and put the end over the port so as not to restrict airflow. I would just just use the 2.5" hose and put an adapter over the port. Reducers are easy.

If you want a dedicated hose that looks like it was designed for it, get the Ridgid Pro Hose. You can shorted it and use the correct end that will fit the Dewalt, which is the same size as many others. It is 1.75" hose so I would suggest shortening it and not use the entire 10', The end to put on the hose that fits the saw is third from the left below the hose:

The universal adapter doesn't fit. Well it does, but I could only get it to just squeeze into the dust port. For the effort I'd rather get something that fits over the dust port. I will have to check out the Rigid hose. Kinda hurts to think about spending $40 on another extension hose though. I went with the cheaper $30, 7' extension hose when I got the vac. The again, the universal adapter might work if I shave some material from the inside of the closest match. Will have to try that first.

Thanks guys!

Could you make a reducer out of plywood? The id would fit over the saw dust port with the od inside the vacuum hose.
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

ANother consideration is the Stanley drywall sanding kit that comes with a hose and two adapters; these fit a number of my tools (http://www.amazon.com/Stanley-26-031.../dp/B00009OYGF). The hose and adapters alone are worth the price, and the drywall sander works well, too. Another solution for hard-to-adapt tools are flexible PVC plumbing couplers (available at HD, Lowes, etc.) - I use them with a Dewalt track saw and a Delta miter saw - the vac hose slips in and there's no choking down the air flow.

I solved that issue by taking a standard 1.5" extension wand and cutting the smaller end off to where the taper would fit the port. If I remember I ended up with about a 6" piece. A standard 1.5" hose will then go into that or you can adapt it up to 2.5.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg R Bradley View Post
    That saw has better dust collection than most miter saws since it isn't a slider and has a decent sized port directly behind the blade. I suggest as much vacuum and as large a hose as you can manage. Also keep it as short as you can and put the end over the port so as not to restrict airflow. I would just just use the 2.5" hose and put an adapter over the port. Reducers are easy.

If you want a dedicated hose that looks like it was designed for it, get the Ridgid Pro Hose. You can shorted it and use the correct end that will fit the Dewalt, which is the same size as many others. It is 1.75" hose so I would suggest shortening it and not use the entire 10', The end to put on the hose that fits the saw is third from the left below the hose:
    I know its a bit old of a topic to reply to, but it was really the only one online that I could find. I can confirm that this Rigid kit works as mentioned in this post and is the closest that I could find to an "OEM" solution. This was done to a DWS779 in the pictures. What I had to do to get it to work was heat up the 1-7/8" adapter with a heat gun to make it a bit more malleable. I was then able to stretch this piece over the outlet of the sawdust discharge port. You can see the pictures and video on this. Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sorry I missed this:

The solution is in the plumbing department at Home Depot. Essentially, one of these guys, appropriately sized:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxodyJP_Di0

I have put one on my DW705 (12" CMS produced about 15 years ago) and just put one on my new Flexvolt Slider. I'll try to post pics of the critter this evening.

The beauty of these is they fit snug, and they have a great friction fit with the vac hose. No tape needed, nothing to do but take one of the band clamps off so the vac hose can slip over.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

Home Depot sells a three piece connector kit that fits the dust chute -DWS779- and connects to your shop vac hose.3-Piece Hose Diameter Adapter Kit for RIDGID Wet/Dry Vacs. Must buy all three pieces for around $8.50

I've had good results wrapping ports with either friction tape (thin, but everyone has it) or the high-voltage thick rubber electrical tape (less common, but often useful, get some). Then just shove the hose/connector over that.