Thread: Using veneer on stiles question

Using veneer on stiles question

I am building an Arts & Crafts armoire from QSWO. On the door I want to employ a veneer that has Stickley inlaid decorations on it for each stile. I glued the veneer to the QSWO stiles and am waiting for them to dry. It just occurred to me that the edges of the veneer will not be protected in any way. I am concerned that the edges would easily chip off. Are my fears unfounded? If not, any ideas of what I can do to protect the edges so they do not delaminate?
    Last edited by Chris Padilla; 04-15-2016 at 12:21 PM.

Certainly a delicate situation but if the veneer is properly glued down and you ease the corner it won't likely chip. I do this often but with heavier veneer than commercially sliced.

If you shop-cut your own veneer to something like 1/16", it can do fine assuming it is glued down well.

Otherwise, think of it like plywood...how do you protects its edges?
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

This was commercial veneer with the inlay attached. That is why I am using QSWO veneer over QSWO boards. As far as plywood goes, I edge band plywood in solid material. I guess I could do that, but it would be very noticeable and not very attractive. I have no idea.

Chris, exactly what do you mean by "ease the corner"? A chamfer, a slight radius?

Right...edge band and I agree further, it might not be that attractive but it just depends on the look you're going for and how much you want to worry about the edge.

I would interpret Chris' words as you did and I'd do it by hand with 400 grit.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Here's an idea for protecting the edge... Why not put a bead around the edges? Yes it would be noticeable, but it would be on purpose.

Something like this.

Beaded Door & Drawer.jpg
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty

It doesn't really fit the arts & crafts Mission style. Thanks for the idea though.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post

Otherwise, think of it like plywood...how do you protects its edges?
    It's not a plywood substrate, so you don't need to protect it's edges. As long as you have a good glue joint, for all practical purposes it should act like a solid piece of wood, which it is.
    Gerry

JointCAM

OK, I think I will take the collective advice and chamfer with 400 grit sandpaper by hand and be done. Thanks for the help.

A light touch with 220 would do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Grzadzinski View Post
    It's not a plywood substrate, so you don't need to protect it's edges. As long as you have a good glue joint, for all practical purposes it should act like a solid piece of wood, which it is.
    I agree with this. High end veneer work on laid up panels is always banded first then the veneer over the top of the banding. This is sort of the same thing except you are using solid wood.