Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Old magazines

I was afraid I would get answers like this. I guess it's nice to know I am not alone. I will try CL, and then I will continue to give some to friends who would appreciate them, and the rest to Goodwill.

Thanks guys.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

If there is a Half Price bookstore (this is the actual name of the chain not just a generic description of used bookstores) in your area you might call them, most of them have a used magazine section but I have not noticed woodworking magazines. If not call some of the recycling places that buy paper, a long time ago we had a "coffee fund" at the company I worked for they used to ask people to bring their old news papers etc. and would take them to a place near us and sell them. For a while they got pretty good money for them and then the market got glutted and they almost had to beg them to take them the last time they took any. I repeat that this was a long long time ago and I have no idea what the current market is on used paper.

I recycle such things. With few exceptions, they have almost no value.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Just find the next guy that knows they must be valuable and saves them. That's how I ended up with so much. I can generally count on anything I save turning out to be worthless and the stuff I toss or sell cheap ending up valuable.

I'm in the middle of packing for a move and I had the same problem. Tons of magazines that I really don't want to take with me. I haven't looked at them in years. I haven't even thought about them in years. I just dumped them all in the recycling bin. They aren't worth anything, nobody wants them, let them be recycled.

I sold about 100 woodworking and remodeling mags recently on CL for $30. Sold in a day or two. Better than nothing, and I'm glad they found a new home and to get rid of them.

Well, I just took over 200 Workbench magazines to the local Habitat ReStore. They said they were glad to get them. I plan to go back in a week or so, and see if they sold. If so, I will start with the Pop Mech, and Pop Sci collection.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Don't forget the local thrift stores. We have one a couple of blocks away. This is where we take ours. So far, after putting them on the shelves, they seem to be purchased within a week or so. The ladies who run the store say that people do buy them.
    You never get the answer if you don't ask the question.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by M Toupin View Post
    Went through this several years back. I had full collections of FWW, Wood and several others including metal working mags like Home Machinist. Hated to get rid of them but they took up a LOT of space. Tried selling them on CL but I couldn't even give them away. About that time I picked up a decent printer/scanner with ADF and duplex scanning capability. On a whim I cut the spine off one and fed it through and converted them to PDF, worked like a charm! I don't often look though them but it is nice when I'm looking for a project or a specific edition to have it on hand. Working a little at a time I scanned all 600+ and keep them on a external drive, about 600gb in all.

Mike
    space
    I'm doing similar but just cut out the pages that are or may be of interest. You can get a lot of pages in a pretty small place . I don't have a duplex scanner so it takes a little longer.
    Last edited by Curt Harms; 04-23-2016 at 9:24 AM.