Thread: Ye Olde Clampes

Ye Olde Clampes

A neighbor here gave me these clamps - three of the top ones in the photo (60"), two each of the others (36" and 32" respectively).

Screen Shot 2016-04-15 at 9.54.17 AM.jpg

They are rusty (they've sat on a shelf since 1971 when her grandfather died. He built the house here in Los Angeles with these clamps - doors, windows, and a lot of very nice furniture in that house) - so how should I clean them up? - phosphoric acid or just steel wool and WD40?

I'm not familiar with the design of the middle clamp in the photo - can anyone tell me what it is and what it is used for? Is it obsolete or still a good one to have around?

thanks

I use white vinegar for things I can dip. For those, I'd go with steel wool lubed with mineral spirits (wear disposable gloves).

I've never seen anything like that middle clamp. But it's a clamp; of course it's a good thing to have around. You just need to experiment with it and figure out its best use.

Blog Entries
    I'm not familiar with the design of the middle clamp in the photo - can anyone tell me what it is and what it is used for? Is it obsolete or still a good one to have around?
    The only obsolete clamp is one that doesn't work.

Does the middle one move both ends when it is cranked? May be for pulling a box or frame together. Amazing some of the different ways of doing the same thing some of those old manufacturers developed.

I have one that looks about the same as the top one at about 48". Found it an an estate sale.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

White vinegar - yes, I forgot about that. That's what I'll use.

Jim, I have yet to try using any of these clamps but it does look like both ends should move when it's cranked.

Lighter weight bar clamps,like the top one are properly called SASH CLAMPS. 2nd one down might be user made. I have never seen one like the bottom one,but I'd have to label it a sash clamp also due to its light weight.

You could just de crud them and paint them to keep the rust from getting on your wood. Or,get some Evaporust from an auto supply store and do a better job of de rusting them. A special narrow trough will have to be made,just large enough to immerse one clamp at a time,as Evaporust is expensive,but re usable. If they were mine,I'd paint them after de rusting.
    Last edited by george wilson; 04-15-2016 at 9:02 PM.

I found a clamp much like the bottom one and spent some time cleaning it up. The first time I used it the lever/handle snapped off the shaft upon which it rotates. Upon closer inspection, it looked like this would be a fairly common problem and the clamp could only be put to light use. Perhaps this explains why this style of clamp does not show up all that often.

George - what I think I'll do is made a bath by lining some sand with plastic sheeting and using white vinegar to de-rust them, then I'll think about painting. I could also give them a light spray with phosphoric acid once I clean them and that works well to stop rusting. Anyway, not much in the way or rain out here in Los Angeles.

Mark - I'll keep that in mind and I'll baby it at first.

The thing is I've ended up with a big collection of clamps but of a lot of different types, not ideal when you're grabbing clamps to close up a gap that appeared just now on your glue up and you have 17 different choices. I feel I want to get these ones working again as someone built and furnished a house locally with them, so they belong to this place.

They say variety is the spice of life!!! I'm sure your de rusting plan will work just fine. And,painting afterwards will really help,too. Those Hargreave (I THINK Hargreave is the right brand! I'll never buy any more!) clamps come NEW in black steel,with considerable black crud on them. Jorgensens are painted,and MUCH cleaner to handle without getting your hands filthy,followed by getting your wood filthy!! At least I have only Jorgensens at home in bar clamps.
    Last edited by george wilson; 04-16-2016 at 9:18 PM.