Thread: Along with the Stanley 45...

Along with the Stanley 45...

Twas a very busy weekend, indeed. Trip down to the Magnolia Jamboree took better part of two days....the second day of which was spent trying to find a few rusty, old tools.....and these don't count...
    IMAG0002.jpg
    Stopped at an Antiques & Gift shop...the cars and trucks were the owner's. There was a shop for him to work on these oldsters
    IMAG0001.jpg
    Wasn't allowed to touch. Felt like a sign I had won at the Jamboree
    IMAG0016.jpg
    Anyway, lots of items to win, sell , buy, and swap....LOTS of food, and friends

Now, on the way back to "Home Station" we kept an eye peeled for flea markets, antique "malls" and that sort of thing. Got the treasures home, time to clean them up
    IMAG0015.jpg
    $10 Wentworth No. 1, now attached to a plank, so I can sharpen a saw or two..
    IMAG0013.jpg
    Like this Keystone Challenger 5-1/2ppi rip saw. This is after a good clean up. There were a few smaller items. A 10" brace, ( a friend still has my 14" holdall Millers Falls brace) and a Stanley Cordovan 60-1/2, new in box.
    other pickings..
    IMAG0003.jpgIMAG0006.jpgIMAG0007.jpg
    Had to BUY a new handle for the hammer, a Buck Brothers 3/8" chisel, a Stanley @1248 (#203 clone) and I am not sure who made the coping saw.

832 miles as the crow flies. One way......the way back home was even longer. Also gained a few pounds around the waist......

My contribution to the fest was that pine tool box I made awhile back. Stuffed with almost every kind of hand tool the old Stanley No. 888 carried. Was the "grand prize" of the hat draw. The winner now has it in a place of honour on her workbench. Left for the fest on a thursday evening, got back home on a monday afternoon. Already planning for the next year's get together. Imagine a large family reunion....of nothing but woodworkers.

Gibsons British Columbia Canada ( near Vancouver )
    [QUOTE=steven c newman;2554362

My contribution to the fest was that pine tool box I made awhile back. Stuffed with almost every kind of hand tool the old Stanley No. 888 carried. Was the "grand prize" of the hat draw. The winner now has it in a place of honour on her workbench. Left for the fest on a thursday evening, got back home on a monday afternoon. Already planning for the next year's get together. Imagine a large family reunion....of nothing but woodworkers. [/QUOTE]

I often wonder what you do with all your ' stuff ' Steven: Now I see you box it up and donate it as a prize - good for you !! I too like to ' gift ' tools, wood, what have you to younger, aspiring woodworkers - a wise man put it this way just last week '' It is all about the stories '' - isn't that the case?

I gifted a hewing hatchet I got at a Garage sale just last week to a young fellow who has done a few years of timber framing, but didn't have one. It was sweet: I bought it and three other axe heads for 5 bucks. No name on it, nicely forged fold over, but there was a light amount of mushrooming - a coarse file took that off, the nice, sharp ' better ' file was just about skating on the business end, and it rang like a bell. I left the rust on it, and will let him sharpen it as well as make a handle, but hopefully there is a story in 30 or 40 years when I am not around -

'' There was this old guy I went to woodworking school with that gave me this hewing hatchet for nothing - - - - all I had to do is sharpen it and put a handle on it'' or something along those lines -

It is all about the stories. Indeed.

Good on you Steven.

Dave B
    Last edited by Dave Beauchesne; 04-15-2016 at 3:23 PM.

Yep, I even put on a show on how to refurb a rusty old plane

Super DAVE Bardin brought his Moxxon Vise set up, and showed how to sharpen card scrapers. He even made a youtube video, mainly to show off all the things that went on......look up Magnolia Jamboree on the tube..

Everyone went home with something. They also got a mason jar full of home made Apple Butter! I now how a sign for the shop..
    IMAG0019.jpg
    Because in this group....I am known as Bandit. Sign now hangs on the door to the shop.

I wonder how many Antique Malls are between here and Harrisonburg,VA..........

SLOWLY getting things caught up from the trip....actually picked two braces over that weekend..

IMAG0005.jpg
    A "little 10" #3710, and a Millers Falls 730 14IN Holdall. Just got the larger one cleaned up today.

Now, IF I could just lose the 5 pounds I gained in weight over that weekend......

BTW: It turns out the low angle block plane is a Cordovan Stanley 9-1/2, with the original box. It will need a good sharpening, as the center area of the iron is worn quite a bit....looks like a smile.

Someone didn't like my cheap little Dremel-wannabe ( $10 @ Wall E World) and gave me one of their "spare" real dremels, the one where you can hang the motor overhead, and has the flex shaft to go everywhere else.

It seemed like I hauled as much away, as I took to the fest.....along with one of the best times I've ever had.
    They also installed a post at the place, kind of like the one in M.A.S.H. 4077..
    IMAG0005.jpg
    Listing the city where one came from, and the miles to it...as the google-map crow flies.

Great little get together. maybe something those on this site might try to do?

Blog Entries
    Great little get together. maybe something those on this site might try to do?
    Sounds like fun.

Let's see, one year in the west, one year in the east, another in the middle... Then we could have one in Australia, one in Northern Europe then Japan...

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

And, for those so inclined.....aRust Hunt in the surrounding areas....pick it clean!

Whomever holds one of these events, should either be near a few good motels, or have enough room for a 1-2 day tent city to appear. Some of the attendees can give a class on their special interest wood working. And have the others try things out. Maybe a swap meet? All attendees would bring an item they made, to be a prize in a "Hat Draw" where each name is pulled out of a "hat" ( we used a large coffee can) in no special order. maybe set up one project as a grand prize?

Everyone seems to want to know if others live near them. Well, this would be a chance to arrange such a get together. Select a central woodworker, and have a group congragate at their place. Maybe a weekend thing.

Some of my group traveled over a 1000 miles for this year's gathering. Some of whom even took the time to view the local sights.....Vicksburg Battlefield, and a USS Cairo. Some had to fly in. One even hitched a ride (me) and did a rust hunt all the way to and from the Jamboree. No "Antique Mall" was safe.....we hit them all......IF they were open.