Thread: My First Creeker Visit !!

My First Creeker Visit !!

My wife and I had the wonderful opportunity to meet and visit with Thom Sturgill and his wife Joyce today, though our visit was only for a few hours we sure shared a lot of turning experiences and related stories.

Thom brought along a bunch of his amazing miniatures (some so small you need a tweezers to pick them up) also, some terrific examples of Pyrography and beading techniques.

I was able to share about 40 lbs of bit and pieces from my Segmenting projects, I'll bet Thom has enough material for a lifetime of turning miniatures.

I learned a few things and gained loads of inspiration .... all in all a great time !!

Thanks Thom for reminding me ... no pics, never happened.

Tim
    IMG_0052.JPG
    Last edited by Tim Boger; 04-16-2016 at 8:52 PM.

Congratulations!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Tim, it's nice that you guys got to spend some time together, I like the saying on Thom's t-shirt. Might have to make that made into a scrollsaw pattern.
    Len

Excellent! Always great to hear when Creekers are able to get together! Great photo!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Just got back home to Florida. The visit was a highlight of the trip! I really enjoyed meeting Tim, his wife, their dogs, and seeing the shop. Wish I had more time and we could have dome some turning, but unfortunately it was not to be. And his 40# of cutoffs have to be sorted and a few pieces turned. I gifted his wife with a miniature hollow form to remember us.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Excellent - there is little more fun that visiting with another woodturner. Every time I'm blessed with inspiration and knowledge - human nature abhors a vacuum! On my last trip I had the pleasure of visiting with Ellis Walentine, Charlie Anderson, and David Ellsworth.

That said, my shop near Knoxville TN is always open. And take a llama for a walk!

Thom, I didn't know you did miniatures - I love them. Do you have pictures? Have you seen some of those that John Lucas made? For some you need a magnifier!

JKJ

I have posted these before. I did not take these with me.
    Dinner4One.jpgDinner4Two.jpg

I call these 'Dinner for One' and 'Dinner for Two' They are approximately 1:12 scale (dollhouse) Pretty much everything shown was turned by me on my lathe. What I brought in the way of miniatures was a chess set turned to this scale, some hollow forms, a goblet with a captured ring and a small goblet that is about 1/8" tall. (just because I could...). I do not have good photos of these yet.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Thom, do you have any pictures of the mini chess set? Bet that took a while to make. Love those miniatures. 40 years ago I made some small doll house furniture for grand daughter. Used a dremel to rout edges of the dining set.

I like those, especially the idea of a dollhouse table. I haven't seen them before but I was away from all the forums for a while. I assume the goblets are made from something like acrylic rod - how do you polish them?

Do you tend to use boxwood or dogwood because of the fine grain? What about ebony or blackwood? I found cocobolo is good, cuts clean.

These things on a penny are ebony and cocobolo. I wish I had used a consistent scale - the tops are way too big compared to the goblet):

tiny_things.jpg

John Lucas told me he got in a competition with another turner to turn the smallest, making tools from sewing needles. He said on the smallest goblets a single pore in the stem would cause it to break!

JKJ