Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Source for ground mild steel plates

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    I will have a set of planer knives sharpened and Back on the planer in 20-30 minutes. It suits my needs. I often make rocking chairs and tables, so micro flat is not necessary. All of my grandchildren are rocked in chairs I made. My chairs are 40% machine made and the rest chisles, shaves, and knives.

I'm glad Tony spoke up and let me know I'm not the only one using granite.

It also is a good reference surface for visual check flatness of a surface. It's large enough to accommodate checking large surfaces for flatness.
    Be careful following anything I say Lowell: if my chairs rock, it's not because I made them that way!
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    Enco and MSC Co. sell precision ground low carbon steel. Looks just like precision ground tool steel as far as looks go. A nice,pretty finely ground surface. Much nicer than Blanchard ground. Oh,my friends at Victor Machinery Exchange in Brooklyn.New York probably sell it cheaper.
    For a lapping plate a finely ground surface isn't automatically better. For finer-grit compounds I sometimes condition my plates by lapping them on 60-grit SiC.

Oh,I read the 1st post just after I got up. I thought he wanted to make dovetailed planes from it!!

I have had a bad night,taking my wife to the emergency room,and getting home at 5:00 AM. Long story short,she took a new sleeping pill her Dr. prescribed. Passed out in the bathroom and crashed face first into the bathtub. Luckily she broke nothing.

Oh,I read the 1st post just after I got up. I thought he wanted to make dovetailed planes from it!!

I have had a bad night,taking my wife to the emergency room,and getting home at 5:00 AM. Long story short,she took a new sleeping pill her Dr. prescribed. Passed out in the bathroom and crashed face first into the bathtub. Luckily she broke nothing.
    What was she prescribed George? My dooc prescribed (IIRC) Lunesta for me. Took it once, wife threw the rest out, after she had to put up with a night of me babbling about slaying dragons and other stuff!
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

Eek, sorry to hear that! I hope everyone is doing OK now.

I don't remember,but she isn't going to take any more sleeping pills!

Blog Entries
    Well, suddenly this string is not very important. I'm sorry George, we will have you in our prayers.