Thread: Made a router plane or OWT.

Made a router plane or OWT.

Copied from the Seaton Chest book, a router plane with the iron from a wooden plow plane.

Drilling the holes. I completely forgot to take more pictures from the build, but it is quite straightforward. Opening the holes with chisels, bedding the iron, making a wedge, moulding the front with moulding planes etc.

foto 1 (10).jpg

Here she is in action. Nothing special, just flattening the bottom of a groove. Bedding angle of the iron is 65 degrees.

foto 3 (9).JPG

And the underside. Showing why it's called an old wifes tooth.

foto 4 (7).JPG

Nice one Kees.

I imagine that one of the advantages of these Granny Tooth planes is that they require less space in which to work, unlike the metal router planes with a longer blade "foot". (I made a blade for the Veritas that is similar to a plough iron for this purpose).

Regards from Perth

Derek

Nice tool Kees!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Thanks,

And yes Derek, that is an advantage too. Especially in carving stuff, or when making small mortises that need a clean bottom (for whtever reason).

Quote Originally Posted by Kees Heiden View Post
    And the underside. Showing why it's called an old wifes tooth.

foto 4 (7).JPG
    Cool, but is this more of a scraper than a plane? I ask because it look like the tooth comes straight out of the plane (at an angle of course). I don;t see the typical tooth of a router plane.

Indeed Pat. Bedding angle is 65 degrees so it scrapes more then cutting. This can be usefull sometimes when the resultant surface is visible and the grain contrary.

Kees, 65 degrees is still cutting - as depicted by your earlier photo.

The blade I made (from a hex key) is 90 degrees, so it a true scraper. It still takes shavings.

This is great for confined spaces, such as short mortices where flat bottoms are important.

Reference: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ShopMad...r%20plane.html

Regards from Perth

Derek

There is a continuum from pure cutting to pure scraping and 65 degrees is somehwere in the middle.

Quote Originally Posted by Kees Heiden View Post
    There is a continuum from pure cutting to pure scraping and 65 degrees is somehwere in the middle.
    Indeed. It's interesting to look at the wood structure under a microscope after cutting at various angles and on various grain orientations. As I think most people already know, the "cleanliness" of the cut depends on both angle and orientation.