Thread: Procedure For Making Your Own Router Base Plate

Procedure For Making Your Own Router Base Plate

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I didn't want to steal Joe's post, so I decided to make a new Post for this subject.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by john whittaker

If my factory base plate proves too contrary to center, I'll just make a dedicated base with slightly elongated mounting holes, and countersink for flat head machine screws, and use it for precision inlay work.
    THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT

John, if you ever do need to make your own base plate,.......

1. Drill out the "PC Compatable" Guide bushing mounting hole FIRST in your new Base Plate material, and then INSTALL the Inlay guide bushing in it. You can fine tune a spade bit, (if necessary) by grinding the bit's edges to get a proper fit for the guide bushing.

2. Using the Rousseau Plate mounting Kit, (about $6 or $7 a couple of yrs ago @ Woodcraft, IIRC), install the little machine screws with the sharp points sticking out, (for marking the base plate mounting holes) into the router body's plate mounting holes.

3. Install the inlay kit's centering pin in the router collet, and slide the base plate onto the centering pin.

4. Gently slide the new base plate down on the pin until it is touching the sharp points of the mounting kit screws, and check to make sure that the plate is touching "ALL the screw points EVENLY", or screw them in or out until they all touch the base plate.

5. Hold the base plate so it does not shift/rotate around the centering pin as you tap the base plate Firmly with a hammer directly over each of the pointed marking screws, to Mark the Plate for drilling

6. Remove the base plate and drill the holes at the MARKED Points.

NOTE: DO NOT Countersink yet.

7. Slide the base plate back onto the centering pin and check that all the screw points are in the center of the mounting holes you drilled, or tweak the holes with a file/reamer/dremel tool, or other until the points are centered in the holes.

8. NOW, you can drill the countersinks, "Making SURE" you have turned the Plate over and are drilling from the proper Side of the plate. You can countersink for either Bevelhead or Flathead machine screws....Your Choice.

9. Remove the marking kit screws from the router body and install the new base plate and check it as described in my reply in Joe Uni's Inlay Kit Recommendation post, (See http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=24268) by running the centering pin in and out of the inlay guide.

NOTE: make sure the Rousseau mounting kit's pointed screws are the same size as the mounting screws in your router Before you Buy it. ("I think" they make different kits with different size screws.....you need to check this).
    Last edited by Norman Hitt; 09-18-2005 at 5:26 AM.
    "Some Mistakes provide Too many Learning Opportunities to Make only Once".