Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Made myself a wooden plane collection

Made myself a wooden plane collection

Hopefully David Weaver will be proud about me! He sure was the inspiration source to start on a plane making binge. It took close to three months of sparetime to make this collection.

Schaven.jpg

Jointer, 27" 2 1/2"iron
    Tryplane, 21" 2 1/4" iron
    Foreplane, 16" 2 1/8" iron
    Jackplane, 14" 2" iron
    Smoother, 7" 2" iron
    All double iron of course.
    Routerplane.

All in all a lot of fun. Not always easy, but I think I learned a lot. I will for sure make more planes in the future, but I need to do a few more serious projects first.

That sure is a nice batch of planes Kees. What kind of wood did you use?
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

It's all made of quartersawn beech. Not the best quality stuff, I like to call it pallet wood. It came from a machine factory who uses it for crating large machines. But overall, in between all the splits and checks, I could find enough usable material.

very nice Kees! I also learned a lot from David W and going towards a collection like yours. Have to source more wood now..

Blog Entries
    Nice work Kees!!
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

The whole set looks great Kees!

Pretty cool set. When do you use the 16" foreplane?

Thanks for the compiments guys.

I started to make the 14" jackplane, but made some critical mistakes, so I continued with a new piece of wood and could squeeze 16" out of it. Then I realised I could save the 14"-er anyway, so now I have two jackplanes. I decided to call one of them a foreplane, which really is just another name for jackplane. The fore has a bit less camber and is nicer to use with the grain. The 14" jack has about 8" of camber and is great for across the grain work or in very soft wood.

Blog Entries
    Nice Kees!

I have been trying to figure out if I want to change my designs to work with double irons. Where did you get the double irons? Getting the wedges to fit well was one of the big challenges so I have been procrastinating.

Blog Entries
    Very nice set, and very inspiring.

The irons are all from old planes, or from motly collections of tools I acquired along the way. It's remarkable with how much old iron you can end up after several years of collecting, uncollecting, selling and buying. Many old wooden planes are too far gone to be made usable again, but the irons usually are still fine. These are almost all from Nooitgedagt because that is the main staple in old wooden planes overhere.

One word......

Nice!
    Jeff

I suspect it would take me all three months to make just one of those! Nicely done. How's the performance?

The fleet is in! What a challenge for you. Not just one but a whole lifetimes worth all at once. Nice work.
    Jim

Great work! And i'd say 3 months is Fast!
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra