Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Made myself a wooden plane collection

Quote Originally Posted by Kees Heiden View Post
    I decided to call one of them a foreplane, which really is just another name for jackplane.
    I don't think that's historically true, though I'm sure Warren will straighten us all out momentarily :-).

Both types evolved for the same purpose (roughing). but the English Fore plane was traditionally larger than the Continental and later American Jack. The prototypical "modern fore" is the Stanley #6 at 18" long with a 2-3/8" blade, but my understanding is that that's a bit longer than an average traditional Fore.

Very nice fleet of planes. It's been interesting to watch you build them up over the months.
    Last edited by Patrick Chase; 04-18-2016 at 7:35 PM.

Hopefully David Weaver will be proud about me! He sure was the inspiration source to start on a plane making binge. It took close to three months of sparetime to make this collection.

Attachment 335953

Jointer, 27" 2 1/2"iron
    Tryplane, 21" 2 1/4" iron
    Foreplane, 16" 2 1/8" iron
    Jackplane, 14" 2" iron
    Smoother, 7" 2" iron
    All double iron of course.
    Routerplane.

All in all a lot of fun. Not always easy, but I think I learned a lot. I will for sure make more planes in the future, but I need to do a few more serious projects first.
    Not quite, Kees!

Now to build a rebate plane, moving fillister, plough, block plane ........

Very well done! They look the part. And in quick time!

Regards from Perth

Derek

Blog Entries
    Nice work Kees.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Hopefully David Weaver will be proud about me! He sure was the inspiration source to start on a plane making binge. It took close to three months of sparetime to make this collection.

Attachment 335953

Jointer, 27" 2 1/2"iron
    Tryplane, 21" 2 1/4" iron
    Foreplane, 16" 2 1/8" iron
    Jackplane, 14" 2" iron
    Smoother, 7" 2" iron
    All double iron of course.
    Routerplane.

All in all a lot of fun. Not always easy, but I think I learned a lot. I will for sure make more planes in the future, but I need to do a few more serious projects first.

Kees,

Were these laminated in any way, or done traditionally?

Moxon jack plane.png

I am not sure that Moxon (1678) knew what he was talking about here; it could be that these two planes were similar but set up differently.

It is rare to see these two terms in the same place, but the Seaton chest inventory (1796) has a single iron Jack, a double iron Jack, and a double iron Foreplane. In the chest itself there are two 14 inch planes; it is generally assumed that the Foreplane is missing and that it was slightly longer. There is certainly some overlap between the two terms. The term Foreplane died out in the early 19th century or so.

Well as I told you elsewhere, they look great. I don't think Dave can see them here, but I imagine he's seen them on IG. And I'm sure he's pleased; I think he wonders if any of the people who watch his videos actually make planes.
    "For me, chairs and chairmaking are a means to an end. My real goal is to spend my days in a quiet, dustless shop doing hand work on an object that is beautiful, useful and fun to make." --Peter Galbert

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Lindberry View Post
    Kees,

Were these laminated in any way, or done traditionally?
    Don't worry, I paid my dues It's done all traditional. I use the drillpress to make a big hole in the middle of the mortise, that helps to lessen the load a little, but the rest is all chopping and paring.

That's a great collection. I like the detailing on the chamfers.

Very nice indeed, Kees.
    Don't stop now!
    You never get the answer if you don't ask the question.

Joe

First getting a bunch of other stuff out of the way. I do have more planemaking ideas though.