Thread: Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

18 Apr 2016

Good Morning Everyone,
    Life continues to have its own ups and downs and this past week was challenging. A good thing from this past week is that a buddy at work took me fishing and I haven't been fishing in over 20 years. I used to fish a good bit and loved to do it, I still do, just never had a real reason to go and do it again. Many times, I get so caught up in the necessities of life that I forget to have a little down time for myself to regenerate my batteries. I did enjoy the short fishing trip and time.

Started working on a chair that my family doctor brought to me for repairs. It will have its own set of challenges and I'm trying to think it all through at the moment.

That's it for me, so what did YOU do this past weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Saturday morning I planted tomato plants, blue berries, black berries, and a few other things.

Over the weekend I almost finished my first frame and panel door. I purchased some kitchen cabinets, but I chose to make one since I could not buy one to fit a particular spot (at least not one that I liked) so I am making a door to match the other cabinets that I purchased. This requires me to cut bevels on the rials and stiles. After finishing one of the bevels, my Sawstop stopped working. The blade does not spin and it throws the breaker... or gives an error code stating that it cannot spin the blade. Did some troubleshooting, will call SawStop today when they are open (I expect that I need to replace some capacitors). My dust collector also started acting wonky at the same time and doing something similar (Odd whine followed by popping the breaker, it seemed to work this morning, but it is too early to say).... So I suspect that there was something odd with the electricity, like a dip. By the time I dropped a meter onto the line, things looked mostly OK, but, if that did some damage, it was too late for the Saw.

Sunday afternoon I took my 10 year old daughter to a pen turning class.We both had our first experience with turning and both created a nice pen. It was fun.

Blog Entries
    Te weather here was beautiful. Other than the standard duties of dogs, meals, and laundry, I built some shelves for my woodworking books. Not glamorous or fine woodworking, but I felt strong enough to use tools. Some sucess at least.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

LOML and I made a road trip down to Willamette University in Salem, OR to attend her son's senior cello recital (works by Bach, Beethoven, and Britten). On the way we stopped in Portland to drop her viola bow off for a re-hair by a local bow maker. That gave me a chance to talk a little bit of shop, and learn something about that trade.

Once we got back home on Sunday I was back to work on the yard and garden, while my cherry and fir bookcase project is still sitting on the bench.

ps - forgot to mention I bought myself an early birthday present--a WoodRiver #62 low angle jack plane. I've been using my 4-1/2 with my shooting board and wanted something that was a little better suited to that task. Plus, the low angle jack seemed like it would be a good all-around plane for general pre-finish work.
    Last edited by Mike Ontko; 04-18-2016 at 10:39 AM.

Attached the leg set to the new extension table I built for my Unisaw. Red oak frame using my Kreg jig and installed a 1/2" thick white Corian top. Slides like butter. Other than that, the Honey Doo list took precedent.

Harold

Best weather of the year, so...
    cut up a tree that fell last fall (and got the clean-up done as well--ended up flipping a 10' log so it bowed up, will make a great "seat" for the grandkids!!)
    cut grass
    mixed sound for a funeral--some friends from my wife's old band did the singing/playing, was a great reunion with them.
    moved dirt (filling low spots)
    varnished new trash can we built for the deck
    measured bathroom closet to build insert for towel/blanket storage (heat vent goes through it--will be GREAT next winter!!)
    honestly--today it feels like more than that list!!

Shawn--glad to hear you got some tool work in!!

earl

Blog Entries
    Earl, thank you! It felt good.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Pixley View Post
    Te weather here was beautiful. Other than the standard duties of dogs, meals, and laundry, I built some shelves for my woodworking books. Not glamorous or fine woodworking, but I felt strong enough to use tools. Some sucess at least.
    That's great to hear Shawn, well done...........Rod.

Good to hear Shawn. Glad you're doing well.

No shop time....worked on a landscaping project for most of my free time and filed our tax returns.

Shawn, glad to hear you're on the mend!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Prep for building a Paulk Workbench, got the plans from him, and am accumulating the plywood.

Doc
    As Cort would say: Fools are the only folk on the earth who can absolutely count on getting what they deserve.

For the last week, the weather has been beautiful spring weather. The wife and I have gotten a lot of delayed yard work done.

It was a one year ago, April 15th, my wife removed the photos from our hallway in preparation for our kitchen bump out addition and remodel. With that kitchen remodel, we had all the windows replaced. I insisted they remove the exterior trim and use the nailing flanges. Due to the difference in thickness from the old thermo-pane windows and the new, all the interior trim had to be removed and remanufactured. I took on the chore of doing the finish carpentry. Saturday I trimmed out the last window. Whew! I am slow. I learned a lot!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....