Thread: How long you deal hunt before just buying retail? Sawstop vs Grizzly Slider

How long you deal hunt before just buying retail? Sawstop vs Grizzly Slider

There are so many tools I want right now: Sawstop 3hp, bandsaw, jointer, drum sander.

I just lost out on another Sawastop on craiglist. I was the 2nd guy to email the seller hours after it was listed and out of easily a dozen replies. $2k for 7 year old Inudsrial 3hp with blades, crosscut sled. This is the 3rd sawstop I've lost out on.

How long do you wait until you say, screw it, I'm just going to buy it retail? I hate buying retail but might have to in this case. I'm operating on a bosch 4100 job site.

2nd question:

If paying retail, would a Grizzly 623x be a better saw than a 3hp Sawstop 36" rail?

It sounds like you already know the answer to your own question. I've got guys in my database who have been having this exact same conversation with themselves for years. I mean 3, 4, 5 years in some cases and many of them still seem to be waiting for that "magical deal" to fall into their lap and never do.

My mom is is a bargain hunter. In fact, she's just plain cheap. I'm not saying that you are but she is and I deal with a lot of people through my business who are, as well. She's the kind of person who would spend hours driving around town to find gas that was 10-cents cheaper. Or, spend days hunting stores, to find a desk that was on clearance. But she's retired and her time is worth nothing. It sounds like your time might be worth something, Patrick. So, the question I might ask myself is, "Is the money I think I'm saving worth the business I'm losing by not having the correct machine?". Or, "Could I be making money right now if I had the tool I needed?". I talked to a guy the other day who originally inquired with me about a Minimax slider, years ago. It was too expensive, so he bought another brand. This is a pro guy, not a hobbyist. That other machine was a lemon, cost him productivity, so he had to replace it. Again, Minimax too $$$, so he bought a third brand. Apparently, it was a lemon, too. Again, lost business and productivity. He only saw the price tag, not the value of his own time. What's your time worth? That's the real question. Not the up-front cost. I hope this makes sense.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Well if you are looking for SawStop then it's easy. They don't go on sale. The best you can do is free shipping and no taxes via an Internet supplier. Of course you need the funds.

For a saw stop, I'd buy new. Just about anything else that is reasonably popular (planer, joiner, drum sander) I'd wait for a used deal, and open the search radius to find one. For a specific tool I'd buy new or at least on sale.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Irish View Post
    If paying retail, would a Grizzly 623x be a better saw than a 3hp Sawstop 36" rail?
    Not if you're buying the Sawstop for its safety features. And probably not if you buying based on overall quality. If you're shopping based on price point, then maybe.

If you go with a new SawStop, get it and all the accessories from AcmeTools via eBay. Youll get free shipping, no tax for most and their auctions/listings allow you to earn eBay Bucks for some added extra money.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rivel View Post
    If you go with a new SawStop, get it and all the accessories from AcmeTools via eBay. Youll get free shipping, no tax for most and their auctions/listings allow you to earn eBay Bucks for some added extra money.
    You don't get "free" shipping from AcmeTools - you get to buy the saw at a list prices that is $250 more than the retailers who sell the saw to you for less and then add a $250 freight delivery fee... You're paying the same for a SawStop anywhere you buy it, with very few exceptions.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Tippin View Post
    You don't get "free" shipping from AcmeTools - you get to buy the saw at a list prices that is $250 more than the retailers who sell the saw to you for less and then add a $250 freight delivery fee... You're paying the same for a SawStop anywhere you buy it, with very few exceptions.
    That is true. But the no tax is a big discount for those that can take advantage of that and the eBay Bucks is the best deal around. I bought mine on a day when eBay was doing something like 5X eBay Bucks and ended up with over $200 in eBay Bucks after getting the saw and all the accessories from AcmeTools.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Irish View Post
    How long do you wait until you say, screw it, I'm just going to buy it retail? I hate buying retail but might have to in this case. I'm operating on a bosch 4100 job site.
    Until I decide that spending the extra money is worth having the tool. Where that point is depends on the tool, the person, and the use. For some tool/people combinations the answer is "never" for others the answer is yesterday.

The slider is much nicer than a standard table saw. Personally, I bought a Hammer, but have never seen the Grizzly brand slider. I would check the classified ads on this forum, and woodweb, and if you give up finding a good used saw order a new one. I am getting older, and don't have years to kill while looking for a bargain.

If you are looking for a bargain in single phase, relatively small motor machinery, you are trying to thread the needle in the dark. There are great used sliders ( and table saws ) everywhere but you need to be able to deal with three phase and have enough amperage to handle 7.5-10 hp. That is where the deals are. Dave

I think that since your considering going ahead and paying retail then you already have the coins.How long will you be doing woodworking,say 20yrs plus?In order to convince yourself divide the cost of the saw over 20yrs,don't look so bad now does it.Bottom line is if you don't get what you want then you won't be happy with what ever you buy.Make yourself happy-----

Not sure your method of checking Craigslist but I have purchased most of my big equipment used. I use an app on my phone that alerts me when a keyword get posted in an ad. On Sunday I was in contact with the seller within minutes of their post and had the item back in my shop within an hour.