Thread: Why would someone cut the top of auger bits off

Blog Entries

Smile Why would someone cut the top of auger bits off

Why would someone cut the top of auger bits off leaving a round shank?
    I have a 1/4" and a 1/2" bit that have round ends on them. A bit brace would not be a good fit.

What a waste.

I have a 16 bit case full of auger bits and also an 8 bit set in a plastic bag. I have three bit braces.
    I remember buying a Bell systems brace and also a nice Stanley brace. The other must have been my father's brace. The box full of bits were his. I'm sure all are familiar with the fact that the bits are 1/64" over size. They don't make good dowel holes.

I don't know why I'm posting this.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 04-18-2016 at 6:17 PM.

To be able to chuck them in a 1/2" power drill and drill holes for bolts on a deck for example.

Used to do it myself.

Yup. A lot of people have probably cut the square shanks off to be able to use them with a power drill. They should work well that way, and while it annoys me, it's better than tossing them in the trash.

To those who made their living with tools, would do whatever was needed to facilitate getting a job done quicker. My father committed many of these infractions, including clipping off the end of an auger bit, brazing an extension on, to be able t drill an extended distance. Quickness meant getting paid was all that much closer.
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

Blog Entries
    A couple of my bits are like this from a Craftsman set. The ends have been ground to still catch solid in a brace. I recall my father doing this to a couple of bits years ago so they could be used in his drill press. Kind of exciting when the lead screw catches and pulls up the work.

I'm sure all are familiar with the fact that the bits are 1/64" over size. They don't make good dowel holes.
    Some auger bits are made for dowel work. Just have to keep checking. I may have the sizes from 1/4" to 1/2" except the 7/16" in dowel sizes.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    Remember Steve Martin in "The Jerk" when he said, "He hates cans!" For some reason I hear that same voice saying, "He hates auger bits!"

Fortune teller said "that would auger well"

Blog Entries
    Thanks guys, I figured it was to place them in an electric drill, but it would have to be a slow turning drill. I have good bits that have the tops on them also.

some cut the tops off and also filed the thread off of the lead screw to prevent them feeding in too quickly under power.

Blog Entries
    George,
    That make sense. I may file the threads off of mine.
    Thanks.