Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Building Kitchen Cabinets

I've applied finish a lot of ways (wipe on, brush on and spray) and spraying is far faster and gives better results - once you get the feel for it. I spray only water based products that dry quickly. I spray in the garage or outside. I risk getting things in the finish and have to sand out sometimes but I don't have a spray booth. I use a Fuji mini mite 3 stage. I used cheaper spray guns before getting the Fuji but they were a waste of time and money. The Fuji does a much better job laying down a smooth layer of finish. If you do this yourself, I would budget for a spray rig.

As to cost, I think it probably depends some. I did things inexpensively with inexpensive drawer slides and even no drawer slides in the island. I omitted the slides mainly to give us more drawer space. But most people want them. The thing is, the bottom mount soft close ones are seriously expensive. Hardwood prices vary widely as does plywood. If you use premium everything and don't get great pricing on materials, and also have to get some tools, it might get close to knock down cabinets. But I am confident I did not spend close to retail for my cabinets. I didn't add tools, got good prices on the materials, and got good prices on the wood. It might make sense to look at something like Lily Ann kitchens and then price up the materials before you take the plunge, however. But if you make them yourself, you also gain a lot of flexibility on the sizes of the cabinets that can result in more useful space. My current wife isn't patient enough for me to make them so we will be buying some. The only question is which. We'll probably look at IKEA but I don't want particle board (it degrades too quickly if it gets wet and isn't very strong). The Chinese knock down cabinets are plywood (at least the ones I'm thinking of are). I'll probably buy one if they price out significantly better to see what the real construction is. I also have plenty of other things to do on this house.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I appreciate it. Have a great day.

Well I made my decision today. I went out and purchased a Sawstop 3hp table saw.

Congrats, Kevin. Enjoy the project

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rivel View Post
    If you know you want to buy new and you want a cabinet saw, SawStops are only a little more than the closest competition and their fit and finish are better. The safety feature is just an added bonus. I recently bought my first cabinet saw and when I was doing my research on only new saws I couldnt find a reason not to go with a SawStop for a say 3HP, 36" cabinet saw.

Were I to spend any real money on a saw, this would be it. We have two of them at work; I actually enjoy working on a Saw Stop more than a Powermatic, there is just something about the feel and working of the tool that has some wonderful intangibles.

My husband also made cabinets for our new kitchen himself. And it turned out quite well. He had some experience, though, helping his father in his carpenter shop for some years. But in terms of design, we made use of some interior design apps to bring our ideas to life. We planned our kitchen space in detail from the visual side at first, and then he got the ball rolling starting out from the picture we created http://prodboard.com/planner/#project-261-2017 , however a little bit changed in process. Look what we've got in the end. What do you think?

380cf273d7f1813f4567eec1f4a07412.jpg
    Last edited by Grace Brown; 11-16-2016 at 10:45 AM. Reason: forgot photo

Welcome,Grace. I'm not much of a modernist but I've always liked that style kitchen. Nice job. Raised panels are available in too many sizes per kitchen!

Last kitchen I did, I had Home Depot break down the melamine panels and resized them on the TS. A lot easier than trying to manhandle them by yourself. I used "Cut List" software program to organize the cutting of the sheets. Having my own shaper and power feeder I can easily make the doors using a door calculator program. Got started in kitchens many years ago using a book similar to Danny Prolux's. Pantry I made for a buddy , using white melamine , red oak.
    IMG_7156.JPGIMG_7164.JPG
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]hobby woodworking since 1972

Thanks Greg Stahl!
    Life is Good