Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dado set opinions

Dado set opinions

We're in need of a new dado set. Currently we have an Amana set that served us well but after a few sharpening the bottoms are not flat and it leaves score marks.

Most important to me are clean flat bottoms and sides

i read a few reviews both Freud 508 and infinities dadonator rate well. Amana set was good to us but never super smooth.

Budget is not a concern. Smooth and flat is most important to me.

Thank you in advance. Neil

If you are sending out the complete set for sharpening ,and the set does not cut flat, I would get sharpening done by a different shop.

I agree. Local options are limited. But the truth of the matter is this set is at the end of its road.

The Dadonator is the best set I've used. I've had it for a few years now, and still marvel at how good it is.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

My current set is a forrest dado king. Also, if you let them sharpen it when you are finished, you can be sure that it will be done correctly.

The Dado King does have "bat ears" on the outer cutters if that is an issue for you, however.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...rest-Dado-King

The Freud set has high reviews on Amazon, but I have never used it. It is much cheaper than Forrest. A poster here on the forum said that it (SD208) does not leave the flattest bottoms. If you go with Freud, get the 508. I am told it is better, I did not ask why.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...recommendation

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...hlin-Dado-sets

Again, I like the Forrest.

Yeah,the Forrest sets are good. The best way to make the sets last is get rid of anyone who can't use them without clanking all the pieces together and store the sets in wood boxes vertically with wide dividers.

Another Forrest Dado King user here.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

I have a Freud, and it has served me well.

Doc
    As Cort would say: Fools are the only folk on the earth who can absolutely count on getting what they deserve.

My first dado set was the Freud SD208 that I used on a Craftsman contractors saw. I was never too happy with the results until I discovered that if I wrapped a piece of packing tape around the saw arbor the same width as my dado, I got much better results with NEARLY flat bottoms. I cut a lot of dadoes with that set until I apparently hit a small piece of metal in one of my pieces and chipped a few teeth. I looked closely to try and find out what happened, but I ever did see anything that could account for the chipping. And yes, the blades were tight and did not contact any of the other chippers.

Next, I bought a used PM66 table saw and as I was going through a final check after loading it onto my trailer, the seller came out with a couple more goodies he decided to throw into the deal. One of the items was a very nearly new Freud SD508. The seller said he used it once, but it looked more like new. Clean, no scratches on any of the blades or chippers . . . just looked new. The dadoes I get with it are very good with crisp edges and bottoms that look perfectly flat except for those darned devil ears. I have been using that set ever since for my goto everyday dado set.

But. Shortly after I got the SD508 I had an opportunity to purchase a brand new 8" Forrest Dado King for $220. I figured I couldn't go too wrong at that price so I bought it. I have used it a few times and it is a fine set indeed. So although I use the Freud for my day-to-day dadoes, if I have a special piece of wood that needs a perfect dado, out comes the Forrest.

One thing about these sets. The next time you send your blades to them for sharpening, I'm sure you could ask them to regrind the outer blades to eliminate the devil ears. I have thought about doing so, but haven't because those ears are there for a reason. However, if I had a dado set that I was going to dedicate to cutting tenons, or some other operation where I did not want to see those devil ears, I think I would request it.

I have not had any experience with other brands of sets, but I don't think you can go wrong with either the Freud SD508 or the Forrest. Freud also has the SD608 dial-a-width set. It sounds good, but I have read that there are several saws that this set will not fit on because the arbor is too short. I think my PM66 (I think it's a 1996 model) might be one of those saws.

Wayne

I have a Delta branded 6" set which served me OK for a long time, they were dramatically better after going to a good sharpening shop. Now have the 8" Forrest set, which seems amazing compared to the Delta. It does put a small groove in the corners, so not perfectly flat. I'd bet they could grind that out if you asked them to.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Hines, MD View Post
    I have a Freud, and it has served me well.

Doc

Which one? The 208 or the 508? I assume th4e 508 (for no particular reason).

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Jolly View Post
    The next time you send your blades to them for sharpening, I'm sure you could ask them to regrind the outer blades to eliminate the devil ears. I have thought about doing so, but haven't because those ears are there for a reason. However, if I had a dado set that I was going to dedicate to cutting tenons, or some other operation where I did not want to see those devil ears, I think I would request it.
    The outer blades have an Alternate Top Bevel (ATB) grind. The bevel reduces tear out for cross grain and plywood cuts. So, if you do cross grain or plywood, you may want to keep those "devil ears". I have never tested without, so your results may vary.

Rod Sheridan brought me a set from Canada made by FS Tools last year; it's the best set I have ever used and doesn't have the infamous bat ears when using it. They sure charge a premium to import to the USA though. Here is a mild discussion of it:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...lder)-dado-set

I've had the freud 508 set for a number of years - no complaints

I bought the Dewalt set on sale for less than a hundred bucks for stuff that I didn't want to put Forrest teeth into. It cuts so cleanly, with a perfectly flat bottom, that I could get by fine if it was the only set I had. It also comes in a well designed case to keep it well organized, and the teeth safe.

http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DW7670-.../dp/B0002ZU6X4