Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rabbeting on a Router Table?

A rabbeting bit has a bearing and is used for free hand routing. I don't see how it would be any better than a straight or spiral bit in a router table if you are cutting straight against a fence.

Doc's right, rabbet bit, of radial design, is the most efficient cutter to cut a rabbet.
    Moreover, it will yield the best result. Plenty stiff, + will not deflect like a straight bit.

I use the small climb cut first method,too. And single flute bits cut really fast.

Quote Originally Posted by pat warner View Post
    Doc's right, rabbet bit, of radial design, is the most efficient cutter to cut a rabbet.
    Moreover, it will yield the best result. Plenty stiff, + will not deflect like a straight bit.
    If someone is deflecting a straight bit while cutting a rabbit, then they are pushing waaaay too hard. That would certainly explain why they are getting poor results. I don't understand this thread. People cut rabbits with a straight bit on a router table all the time. I am not the only one who doesn't have problems doing this. There si some other explanation than "wrong bit".

Quote Originally Posted by pat warner View Post
    Any recommendations on which product to buy? I'm looking at Whiteside 1955 or 1960 set, or both. Any comments?
    Last edited by Mark W Pugh; 04-21-2016 at 1:12 AM.

Bit diameter can matter also--- a larger diameter bit will tear-out less than a smaller diameter one(all other things being equal). Rabbeting bits tend to be larger diameter, with a cutter geometry that is better for rabbets than a straight bit.

p.s. Don't know what you mean by "fluted bit." The flute is the area where the cutting happens. Some bits are single-flute, some are 2-flute, some 3-, and Freud makes some bits in a "Quadra-cut" form. Flutes can be straight or other shapes, but "fluted bit" doesn't communicate much.

" Any recommendations on which product to buy?"
    I'd get something that will cut 3/8 -1/2 x maybe 3/4" in Y.
    On the table, a cutter of that size, without its bearing, will cut from 0,0 - 3/8+ x 3/4. One cutter to do all that and do it well, awesome.

Heaven forbid having to route a 1/4" X 1/4" groove instead of a rabbit. Does that mean it is impossible to eliminate splintering?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W Pugh View Post
    Any recommendations on which product to buy? I'm looking at Whiteside 1955 or 1960 set, or both. Any comments?
    Something similar to this is what I would use:

http://www.woodcraft.com/product/129688/woodriver-rabbet-router-bit-set-12-sh.aspx

As Cort would say: Fools are the only folk on the earth who can absolutely count on getting what they deserve.

" Heaven forbid having to route a 1/4" X 1/4" groove instead"
    A slot with a straight bit is one of the most rigorous cuts for a router and its cutter.
    A 1/4 x 1/4 slot, if done in one shot will measure >.250" wide.
    The cutter is slamming into both sides of the path way and dragging along the bottom. No room for the chip; it fouls the foot way. It's web is often <.125"; not a lot of steel or carbide to resist deflection.
    A 1/4 x 1/4 slot = .250" is possible, however, and in a single pass if you must.
    A 3/16 CD cutter, cut down the center of the path way will wiggle, twist and deflect. However, as it wastes the remaining 1/32"/side there is very little deflection and a near perfect slot is possible.
    Notwithstanding, if the slot were close to the edge I'd use a radial 3-wing slotter, cuts like a saw blade.