Thread: My SawStop failed... buh-bye start capacitor

My SawStop failed... buh-bye start capacitor

I am writing this on Tuesday. Sunday night, my SawStop failed. It would hum but the blade would not spin and then it would flash an error (fast green and solid red) which meant "the blade is not spinning".

The saw is very far out of warranty.

I called SawStop technical support and based on my discussions with them I ordered three things:

1. Start Capacitor (which I suspected was bad, and it tested as bad when I metered it)
    2. Run Capacitor (which I suspected was good, and it tested good when I metered it)
    3. Motor Centrifugal switch (which often fails and then sometimes causes the Run Capacitor to fail)

I paid $25 shipping (I think) for next day delivery. So, for a grand total of $65 I received the parts today and my saw is once again functional.

For my PCS175, the motor would have been about $275 + shipping.

Tech support was awesome and all the pieces and parts were easy to get to and replace.

At the same time that my saw failed, my dust collector started vibrating and then it threw the breaker. I think that there was some kind of strange power issue; probably a severe voltage sag on the line (or similar). My dust collector recovered when I tested it an hour later; the saw, not so much.

I had never replaced these on a motor before, but, all things considered, it was pretty easy on my SawStop.

I got one of the original ICS's a couple years ago for a steal!

The machine worked perfect but was missing a few bits and pieces. I also wnated to upgrade the blade guard assemble and dust collection shoot.

Sawstop customer service and tech was awesome. I got new blade wrenches, the new up to date blade guard, end caps for my fence rails, and almost all ne hardeware for the fence and rails. I think all said it cost maybe $200?

I would like to add a slider to my stable of tools. However after a severly disapointing experience wupith the purchase of a $13K jointer/planer i am sceptical to spend such big money on a tool again when it can all go so wrong. Put my experience with this unamed company to my experience with SawStop and it kinda makes you wonder what the story is.

SawStop is great!

One of the main reasons I went with a Sawstop was their reputation with customer service.

This will be one of the next big upgrades I make. We seem to have a lot of power surges and utility issues in Columbus Ohio for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Hachet View Post
    This will be one of the next big upgrades I make. We seem to have a lot of power surges and utility issues in Columbus Ohio for some reason.

The saw is old enough that it might not have been the problem, but, I really think that it was.

Glad to hear they sorted you out quickly and inexpensively! Nothing like getting back up and running without it costing a fortune!
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!