Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Multi-axis

Multi-axis

I am calling this "Binary Vessel". It was outside my comfort zone but now that it is done my comfort zone is a little bigger. Ash with Tung oil finish. The center to center distance is just over 8 inches between the openings. Comments and critiques welcome.
    Attached Images Attached Images

That is a dramatic statement. Getting real arty there. I bet it did give you thoughts to see it swirl around. How did you mount it to have any help to the unbalance of the swinging outer piece? Also what are some dimensions? Will you be showing it at SWAT?

Holy Cow!!! Thats really cool, but how the heck did you counterbalance it, and what lathe did you turn it on?
    Brian

Sawdust Formation Engineer
    in charge of Blade Dulling

That's really cool, Dennis. I bet it was interesting to turn, let alone hollow! Cool concept.

Way over the top cool piece Dennis. WOW!
    Member Turners Anonymous Pittsburgh, PA

Very nice and very unique.

Well, that is thinking outside the box... I am starting to stretch a little, but no where near that...

robo hippy

Oh wow, that is impressive!! I can't imagine how that was done.

Thanks for the comments.
    " How did you mount it to have any help to the unbalance of the swinging outer piece?"
    It was mounted between centers (twice) to turn tenons and cut away material between the vessels.
    Next mounted in chuck to shape topside of each vessel and then again for hollowing.
    Last it was mounted between centers again to turn the tenons off.

"how the heck did you counterbalance it, and what lathe did you turn it on?"
    No counter-balance was used so I could not turn it very fast.
    I turn on a home-made lathe; it is fairly heavy (estimate - 900 lbs)

That must have been one interesting turning session! great concept and execution, definitely stands out

Definitely very cool. Haven't seen anything like that. 900 lb home-made lathe. I would like to see a picture of that.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

Dennis that is very unique piece. Another showing of your vast talents and skill as a turner. Would like to see pictures of your home made lathe. Will you have that piece at SWAT this year?

Size - 13" x 4.5" x 3" each hollow form is 4-1/2" dia.
    I think this will be my "2 for 1" donation at SWAT.
    I am attaching a picture of my lathe (old picture). The motor mount and pulleys have been replaced since this picture and controls have been updated, structurally it is the same.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dennis Ford; 04-20-2016 at 2:17 PM. Reason: picture added

Again beautiful work. What a lathe. Look like it can handle "anything" easily. Great job on both.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

Thanks for all the info Dennis. No counterbalance must have been real interesting with the single wing/club flying by. See you at SWAT.