Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Was about to buy a SS ICS.. Now thinking Minimax SC4. Any other saw I should look at?

Was about to buy a SS ICS.. Now thinking Minimax SC4. Any other saw I should look at?

I was ready to pull the trigger on a Sawstop ICS this morning when I did more searching and reading on here. I gave in and started looking at Euro sliders. One 60 second youtube video did me in. I had never paid attention to them before. We had a Unisaw in shop class in school growing up. I have a similar vintage Unisaw in my shop now.

So.. I feel like a slider is a must do. In looking at the field, wanting to keep the cost under five digits, considering brand performance/customer service, machine quality, and that stuff it seems like Minimax is a great choice. I have scoured classifieds and eBay and nothing is jumping out at me. I want 8' rip capacity, single phase.

Does anyone have any suggestions on a quality 8' slider, single phase, under $10k delivered with a good customer support record?

Thank you in advance!

I had a Unisaw in 1984, then a PM66 in 1990 and then a Sawstop ICS in about 2006. Not sure what price point you are looking at or how much space you have. I have a Felder 700 series with a 9 foot slider and I love it. If you have a cabinet saw and you want to rip an 8 ft sheet of plywood. You will need a minimum of 8 ft in front of the blade, the length the blade takes, say 8" and another 8 feet after the blade. You will also need some space in front of the sheet to stand to maneuver it, call it 18 ft. My 9 foot slider needs about 19 ft. Not a big difference, but with the slider you have a 9 foot obstruction in the shop all the time. Many use a full length slider in a 2 car garage but I think that would be really tight.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Wayne View Post
    I was ready to pull the trigger on a Sawstop ICS this morning when I did more searching and reading on here. I gave in and started looking at Euro sliders. One 60 second youtube video did me in. I had never paid attention to them before. We had a Unisaw in shop class in school growing up. I have a similar vintage Unisaw in my shop now.

So.. I feel like a slider is a must do. In looking at the field, wanting to keep the cost under five digits, considering brand performance/customer service, machine quality, and that stuff it seems like Minimax is a great choice. I have scoured classifieds and eBay and nothing is jumping out at me. I want 8' rip capacity, single phase.

Does anyone have any suggestions on a quality 8' slider, single phase, under $10k delivered with a good customer support record?

Thank you in advance!
    Steve, if you're set on a slider you can find them used on Craigslist, but plan on a road trip (or arranging a shipper). There are two Felder combo machines now for sale in your price range; one in Dallas and the other in Rochester. There were a few Minimax sliders, but they've been sold. Just keep looking (there's a good CL search app for an iPhone that will search daily for search-terms).

http://rochester.craigslist.org/tls/5479607626.html

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/tls/5464822788.html

Just an idea for you..... We also have a Minimax Rep that frequents this site - Erik Loza. You might drop him a PM, either to inquire about a new one or to see if any of his customers are upgrading and are trying to sell a used MM.

Edit: His profile says he's out of Texas, but he could hook you up with a Rep closer to Washington if he can't help. (I have no affiliation to Mr. Loza or MM - just trying to help out here.)
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 04-20-2016 at 7:21 AM.

If you are asking for reputable slider companies, you have several. Martin, Felder, and Hammer (Felder's homeowner line) all produce good saws or did at one point. Erik can help in regards to MiniMax. I have a Hammer and it's just fine at the homeowner level.

Thanks guys! I'm in contact with Erik, that's what put the SC4 Elite on my radar. I'm not keen on arranging crating and shipping on a used machine I would be buying site unseen. What I was wanting to know is if there are other machines I should consider. I'm feeling great about Minimax.

Look at Grizzly sliders.

Steven,
    Looks like you're in Washington so not too far from salt lake city. Here is one that been on a local classifieds section for a week or so.
    http://www.ksl.com/?nid=218&ad=39302...0saw&ad_cid=11

So.. now I'm wondering if 10.5' is too big..

Longer is always better unless you can't physically fit it into the shop.
    Brian Lamb
    Lamb Tool Works, Custom tools for woodworkers
    Equipment: Felder KF700 and AD741, Milltronics CNC Mill, Universal Laser X-600

I'm trying to decide between Minimax's SC4 Elite w/ 8.5' sliding table and the Si315 Elite-S w/ 10.5' sliding table which would be the better machine for me. What does the additional funds buy me?

Since you are on the west coast, why not look at the Laguna offerings. I have had a 5' short stroke slider for over 5 years with no problems at all. That is about the limit of my 16 X 24 shop, so an eight foot machine would move me out of the shop.
    Good luck and let us know what you choose.

I shyed away from Laguna because I've read so much negative feedback about their after sale support.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Ramsey View Post
    Steve, if you're set on a slider you can find them used on Craigslist, but plan on a road trip (or arranging a shipper). There are two Felder combo machines now for sale in your price range; one in Dallas and the other in Rochester. There were a few Minimax sliders, but they've been sold. Just keep looking (there's a good CL search app for an iPhone that will search daily for search-terms).

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/tls/5464822788.html
    IMO, this 2006 Felder CF731 is a very good deal for $7995, it is a saw/shaper/jointer/planer combo with mortising attachment, just wayyyy better than the brand new SawStop ICS, surprised it is not sold yet.

James,

That saw would cost me a couple thousand, or more to get to me, and I wouldn't see it before I buy it. Lastly, I would be at the mercy of the seller, crating company and shipper.. Not going to risk $10k on that. Also, all I want or need is the saw function. This machine is for processing sheet goods.

I feel like the SC4 Elite is the right saw for me..