Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Was about to buy a SS ICS.. Now thinking Minimax SC4. Any other saw I should look at?

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Wayne View Post
    I'm trying to decide between Minimax's SC4 Elite w/ 8.5' sliding table and the Si315 Elite-S w/ 10.5' sliding table which would be the better machine for me. What does the additional funds buy me?
    I have the S315WS and love it. (The older version that still came with the 8'6" slider...which requires 19' of throw, end to end) It's an excellent machine and if I'm not mistaken, a little heaver than the SC4 Elite. In reality, I could likely be very happy with the SC4 Elite, but it wasn't an option at the time I was buying (I don't remember why...it was a number of years ago) and I got a smokin' deal on the S315WS as it was right before some changes were going to happen.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Hmm.. I'm not following. Everything else I've read has said a sliding table saw (like the MM SC4/315 I'm considering) is the right tool for the job if I want to work with sheet goods. You're saying that is not the case? Can you elaborate?
    Loading sheets onto a slider is a giant pain. If you are just wacking up sheets into smaller squares a panel saw is so much easier on the operator.

Not as capable as a slider, but for its intended use, can not be beat.

The slider is a very versitile machine. It can cut sheets goods and function like a table saw and can have the shaper function or even other functions in the case of multi-function machines.

He is talking about a very expensive panel saw if you want a specialized machine just for sheet goods.

http://www.wwthayer.com/Striebig-Com...el-Saw-002.asp

This one sold for $8200. They can be had reasonably on the used market.

For the life of me I can't figure out how to even get pricing on Hammer equipment. The Euro machinery company marketing and websites are abysmal.
    Here you go, Felder eShop has hammer machine price. If you want Felder saw, you have to talk to sales guys.

http://us.feldershop.com/en-US/en-US/Sawing/Machines/

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Friedrichs View Post
    They definitely do not have the "customer is always right" mentality that we have in the US! I finally gave in and "registered" on Felder's website (for access to the videos), and they sent me some email inquiring about what I was looking for (and I just deleted it - whatever). Promptly 3 days later, they emailed me and chided me for not replying to their earlier email!
    If you just want to watch videos for Felder machines, there is a youtube channel

https://www.youtube.com/user/helfel01

Does the 8.5' SC4 that I'm considering have enough capacity to rip a 97" long sheet of MDF on the wagon?

Steven,
    I was considering the SC4 and a S315 several years ago just as you are. I went with the S315. In my case the reasons were as follows:
    1. longer stroke for ripping a full 8' sheet with no concerns
    2. in my case the SC4 was previously owned less than 6 months (plus for the SC4)
    3. I snoozed on the SC4 and someone beat me to it
    3. I got a smoking deal from MM for a new S315
    4. arbor size

In the end it was the stroke and the 1" arbor that made the difference for me. I would make the same purchase again today! It does a great job on sheet goods but that is the obvious. Much easier for me than wrestling a sheet on some jig or the floor with my Festool track saw. Really need to sell that thing. The saw performs equally phenomenal on solid stock. With a good blade and technique I don't even use my JP for edge jointing any longer. Best of all no kickback and the digits are safe and sound because they are no where near the blade. Also take a look at making or getting a parallel ripping jig. There are several examples here on the creek. The shaper does add a great deal of versatility but I went with a separate. A fellow creeker added a CI router table to his S315 (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...highlight=s315). I was about to go that route when I located the shaper I wanted.

near San Diego: unincorporated section of county
    Hmm.. I'm not following. Everything else I've read has said a sliding table saw (like the MM SC4/315 I'm considering) is the right tool for the job if I want to work with sheet goods. You're saying that is not the case? Can you elaborate?

It's really frustrating, it is near impossible to get a good idea of the use and application of the Euro machines, the model differences, who carries what, where to buy, which used machine is good or bad choice, on and on..

I sincerely appreciate everyone's input!

Does the 8.5' SC4 that I'm considering have enough capacity to rip a 97" long sheet of MDF on the wagon?
    When I was in the hunting mode, I flew 500 miles to see a Felder KF700 in action. Owner met me at the airport, took me to his house. We sawed and shaped away for 2 days (he graciously hosted me for the stay) and then he returned me to the airport. I flew home sold in my mind it was the right tool for me. Cost of Southwest airfaire kind of got lost in the noise of the total purchase.

8.5' table is not optimal for 97" panel. Sooner or later you might want air clamps, especially if you are a one man shop, and they take a little room at each end of the table.

Also, for what it is worth, my saw (a 9' table) sits in a half of a two car garage that houses 2 cars. A bit tight, have to back the car out to work, but it is doable.

James

James,

I'm up early to spend the day going to visit an owner of one of the machines I am considering buying. I could not be happier about the opportunity to see one before I buy it! Big smile on this guy's face this morning!

I also have two MFT tables but what makes cutting panels so easy is I also have the Walko table and I have it in the full extended mode leaning against my mobile lumber rack. When I need to cut a panel I simply roll the rack to the back of the truck and slide the panel out of the truck and onto the Walko and start cutting just as you would on a panel saw. No lifting of the panel, just slide it onto the leaning Walko table and it couldn't be faster, more convenient or cheaper. Each cut panel is easily stored on the rack since it is what the Walko is leaning on. A added benefit to the Walko is can have the shelves installed and it acts as another cutting surface/storage etc and it's mobile since it's on the lumber rack.

Well.. Thanks to an awesome Creeker I was able to check out a Minimax slider in person. I'm waiting on a call back to finalize my order- 10.5' Si315 Elite-S. To those that said 8.5' isn't enough length on the wagon for working with full sheets (97" long) of MDF, THANK YOU! I would have been beyond disappointed when I found out the reality of how little room that leaves for clamping.

Now to wait two months for it to arrive..

Yes, it does. But it's tight.

Congrats on your S315 order! Great machine!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I've read tons of threads about sliders. One thing I'm wondering about.. Suggestions on blades? I was thinking a Forrest WWII for hardwoods and their blade for plywood/MDF. I welcome any suggestions on blades. And slider related stuff in general.

Thabk you!

i use Tenyru blades on my slider. i personally wouldn't look any further. incredible quality.

my machine uses the 350mm blades with 30mm arbor/pins... considered "industrial sliding table saw" on the Tenyru catalog. not sure what yours uses, but i can't recommend them highly enough.

-- dz