Thread: Wood Turners Finish

Wood Turners Finish

I used General Finishes "Wood Turners Finish" on a couple of platters and I'm not at all pleased with the result. There are hills and valleys instead of a nice smooth finish. I've sanded to bare wood twice and then progressively to 400 grit between applications and I still can't get a smooth finish. I'm guessing it's because the stuff dries so fast it doesn't have a chance to flow together.

So my question is, have any of you experienced this effect and if so what did you do to correct it? I'm hoping I don't have to sand all the way back and start over with another finish.

Thanks,
    Jim

Jim,

Although this is a finishing question, you'll get a lot more answers if you post it in the turning forum. A lot of the people that use WTF rarely visit this area of the Creek. In fact, there were a lot of posts about it on the turners forum when WTF first came out a couple (few?) years ago. Some people had the same trouble you are having and got some good advice. I'd do a search for Wood Turners Finish and WTF there and see what comes up. One thing that was mentioned repeatedly is that the finish smooths out over time after application, and you should let it sit for at least overnight before deciding to sand it off. I've used it successfully on smaller pieces, but not a platter or large bowl. I can see how it would be tough to apply evenly to a large piece. Good luck.

Jon

I have used a lot on small pieces with good results but never on a platter or bowl. Lacquer always goes on the larger pieces.

I have used it on some larger vases that were almost white curly maple that I wanted to keep as white as possible.
    First step was the sanding. I sand it to 400, making sue that I do not burnish it in the process. The last step before application is sanding with the finest step (400 in this case) with fresh sandpaper and a light touch. This makes sure there is an even "scratch" n the surface, and not bands of burnished wood and bands of sanded wood.

I expect the first couple of coats to raise the grain a little so I sand again with fresh sandpaper (320 & 400). When the grain is no longer a problem, I start adding coats leveling with 320 or 400 every 2 - 3 coats. It dries quickly so I usually apply a coat and do something else for 5 minutes and repeat. I expect to use 6 to 12 coats, until it gets to the sheen I want. Then optionally I wax and buff the next day.

Hope this is helpful.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Are wood turners finish and salad bowl finish the same product??

6. Quote Originally Posted by Steve Nix View Post
    Are wood turners finish and salad bowl finish the same product??
    No, wood turners finish is a water based polyurethane finish with extra dryers to accelerate the process. On large pieces like a platter, the ambient temperature is important. I tried it on a walnut platter in the heat of summer in my non-air conditioned shop, and it dries so quickly it blotched and made a mess......it was probably 97+ degrees in my shop that day. I have used it on medium and small projects with great success. Not good in really hot conditions.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

It's not unusual (for me, at least) to have to sand finishes after applying the final coat. Start with 400 or 600 grit and get a uninform surface, then sand up to 2000, then buff and wax.

The trick's not sanding through the finish.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    No, wood turners finish is a water based polyurethane finish with extra dryers to accelerate the process. On large pieces like a platter, the ambient temperature is important. I tried it on a walnut platter in the heat of summer in my non-air conditioned shop, and it dries so quickly it blotched and made a mess......it was probably 97+ degrees in my shop that day. I have used it on medium and small projects with great success. Not good in really hot conditions.
    Good info. Thank you.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

I use Wood Turners Finish fairly regularly and on some fairly large bowls. I apply the finish while still on the lathe running at a slow speed - usually 60-80 rpm. I apply the first 2-3 thin coats and dry sand with 400 grit just enough to knock off any nibs. 2-3 more coats and sand with 600, 2-3 more and sand with 800, and so on. I usually apply 12 to 15 coats and use those high-tech folded little pieces paper towels as my applicator.

Jim, it sounds to me like you may be putting it on a little heavy and maybe not applying it while running on the lathe? Wood Turners Finish is a build finish and the only time that I've experienced what you describe is when I got impatient and applied too heavy a coat. That leaves swirl lines.

It's a high gloss finish and you usually won't start seeing much of a gloss until your 6th or so coat. That being said, living in Central Florida, in the summer I can apply and sand 15 coats in just a few hours.