Purchased an old 36" Kuster drum sander several months ago. Upon first few attempts, had paper fly off issues. I cleaned the drums with DNA and coated with two coats of contact cement and let it dry. This is the fix!! Paper stays on and tight with no problems. Eventually I plan to remove the factory "baffles" from inside the shroud and modify the DC from one 4" port to two. I believe that the paper fly off issues were caused by the paper loosening slightly, making contact with the shroud baffles and then the excitement starts! I invested $500 in the sander and another $250 in paper. I feel confident that the contact cement has solved the paper issue and now feel much better about investing a bit more time improving the DC. Looking at more modern and groovy 36" double drum sanders, ($$$$$$), I feel pretty good about my purchase (I had some doubts when I couldn't keep paper on it).

If anyone has one of these beasts languishing around, I would highly recommend trying this fix before despair!