Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Screws/bolts for old hand planes

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ken seale View Post
    Why don't you just shorten the studs that are too long? Seems like a simple solution.
    Shortening the studs without a way to clean up the threads can problematic for some folks.

Another solution I have used is to stack washers under the top nut.

Many ways to do the same thing.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    Because: the threads are on very crooked, the top threads on one end are all buggered and do not work, if I cut the ends off there does not appear to be enough threads to reliably hold, especially if, like Jim mentions above, I end up having to rethread or file the top threads to get them to start into the plane's body. The big reason is the first one though, the whole shaft of the screw circles in a crooked circle, due to the threading being crooked, just on the first thread or two. Trying to use pressure to get past a couple threads at the top risks buggering the threads in the plane.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Holbrook View Post
    I have a few screws for old planes that either got lost/cross threaded/bent.....
    I found a guy who said he could make new ones, which handled a few but several do not work....long story. I tried to get him to replace the ones that did not work like he said he would but never could get him to do anything but suggest how I should repair the defective screws.

The issue with some of the screws was the threads were not straight, too wide, too few.... I am wondering what would be involved in making screws myself. If I buy appropriate steel rod and threading/tapping devices can I make these myself? I know some of you fabricate metal parts as well as wood, so I just thought I would ask.

I bought a couple at auction but it takes a good while and money to get them and they may or may not work.

I don't know the age or country of origin ( U.K. or U.S.) for your Stanley planes but some of them have Whitworth threads and that is a difficult thread to find taps or dies for. I saw some one else say get a thread gage, do that , it will help a lot. I am a retired mechanic that has worked on equip from all over the world and have had multiple thread issues over the years, get a thread gages. You could always contact Don W. at WWW.timetestedtools.com ,he might help.

Stanley #55 plane thumb screw with shoulder is 1/4-32 x 1/2"

I've never dealt with VictorNet, but their prices for US-made stuff are surprisingly good. For example they offer a set of US-made #1-#60 HSS taper-length twist bits for $129, while a similar Chicago-Latrobe set goes for over $500. Does anybody have a sense for how much of that represents real differences in materials or finish, as opposed to branding?