Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stanley 60 1/2 block plane

Blog Entries

Stanley 60 1/2 block plane

The Stanley 60 1/2 block plane I purchased in the 70's gave up the ghost a few years ago. It was my go-to block plane, uniform full width, full length translucent shavings. I planed entrance and passage doors with it. Oh how I missed the plane. If Stanley still produced the plane, I couldn't find it.

Well, they finally came out with it's replacement, the Stanley Bailey 12-960. It is the same dimensions as the old 60 1/2. Mine came today. After 5 minutes of honing, the same feel and the same full width translucent shavings reappeared. I mean translucent shavings 12" long on a 12" long stick. It cost half what other block planes cost.

The replacement I've been using is the apron plane, which I like and I would not be without it. The deal is the size of the new plane suits my feel. The uniform full length shavings suits me also. Th fact you can read through the shavings is right also.

I will not abandon my apron plane, but the 12-960 is like having an old friend back.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 04-20-2016 at 3:04 PM.

Blog Entries
    The Stanley 60 1/2 block plane I purchased in the 70's gave up the ghost a few years ago.
    Can you give details on what exactly caused its demise?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    The mechanism that extends and retracts the iron was worn and became balky. I bought the plane in the 70's and used it for 30-40 years. I used it as an apron plane and I always liked the feel of the plane. It will still cut translucent full width shavings, but the advance and retract mechanism is sloppy. After acquiring an apron plane, I quit using it. The thing that excited me, is the feel of the new plane is the same as the old one.

I remember planing the edges of entrance doors with the old plane. Often, when planing on a door, a plane will not give you continuous shavings. The old plane had gotten to that point. But it is over 40 years old. I am delighted that I found a replacement that performs like the original. OBTW, it cost less that $40.

Afraid might is still in it's original box

IMAG0017.jpg
    And is a Codovan. But it is a Stanley No. 60-1/2.......brought it back from the Magnolia Jamboree...freebie,too

I have a pair of 60-1/2's, and a pair of 9-1/2's that I use daily. One pair, the burgundy ones, I bought new probably about the same time you bought yours. I had the same problem with a 60-1/2. I bought a replacement adjuster, which turned out to be metric threads. I bought a tap whatever size those metric threads were, retapped the hole, and it works fine.

My other pair are the preceding models that I found NOS still in the boxes, and couldn't turn them down. They're really dark blue. I keep the newer ones honed with straight across cutting edges, and the old pair cambered.

One stays in a custom pocket in my toolbelt depending on what I'm working on.

I've never had any desire to buy a "better" block plane.

My two block planes are G12-020 and G12-060, both about 30 years old. The -020 sees regular edge-planing use, but the -060 has a good scallop missing on the right cheek (cement floor) so has become my go-to edge chamfering tool.

Blog Entries
    I've never had any desire to buy a "better" block plane.
    One of my 60-1/2 planes is the cordovan model. One is a 1980s hardware store model, made in England if my memory is correct. I was never able to pick up an older one on ebay. Seemed there was always someone willing to pay a bit more than me. Finally decided to purchase the LN model. This was before LV had the NX & DX 60s in their line. Though the LN 60-1/2 is a very nice high quality plane the old Stanleys are a bit lighter and easier for me to hang on to during use.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Blog Entries
    They are available at Amazon really cheap. My new one came out of the box making full width translucent shavings.

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    Afraid might is still in it's original box

IMAG0017.jpg
    And is a Codovan. But it is a Stanley No. 60-1/2.......brought it back from the Magnolia Jamboree...freebie,too
    I don't think that's a 60-1/2. The 60-1/2 looks like this (courtesy of Patrick Leach's "Blood and Gore"):
    6012.jpg
    Note the adjuster at the back, and the adjustable mouth. Yours looks more like a Stanley 103, although it's not clear that they were produced as late as the cordovan period.

Good to hear that Stanley's bringing back good tools, after their years of uneven quality.

Blog Entries
    I don't think that's a 60-1/2. The 60-1/2 looks like this (courtesy of Patrick Leach's "Blood and Gore"):
    Bill,

Look at the bottom of the picture. The plane is upside down in a smaller box. Almost fooled me.

jtk

Sounds good...but...look into the cardboard box sitting there below the Stanley 1248......on the side of THAT plane that resides in an original labeled Stanely 60-1/2P, it is stamped as a No. 60 1/2, A bit of a glare off the good plane might have blinded you?

label on the box is a yellow with green lettering. The metal corners are yellow, as well. Also says the cutter is an 1-3/8" wide.
    IMAG0001.jpgIMAG0002.jpg
    maybe now you can see it a little better? I haven't even had the time to sharpen the iron, yet. Waiting to see how it compares to a Millers Falls No. 56B.....
    Last edited by steven c newman; 04-20-2016 at 7:11 PM.

Blog Entries
    I found out this morning that Traditional Woodworker has a 60 1/2 plane. It is an Indian made plane. Apparently the design is popular.

I'm a real 60 1/2 fan too. I've managed to find three of them while on rust hunts. To be fair, one is a Millers Falls #56, which is nearly identical. One of these days I'd like to have the LN version. I like the idea of a little thicker blade, and they are oh so purty!
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Blog Entries
    The 12-960 has a lateral adjuster on it that the 60 1/2 did not have. I can take off, but at this time I'm leaving it on. The India made 60-1/2 has the lateral adjuster.

We've been hunkered down here in the Houston - Galveston area with remarkable rain squalls for days. Here in Galveston County, we've been spared the street flooding. It has passed and I think I will go play with my new toy.

That's a great plane to last so long.Do you have any idea how many blades you went thru over the years.And where did you get your replacements.
    I have one vintage plane i pretty sure I'd go thru the iron very quickly if put in my users.I use Lie nielsons with A2.