Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Full Spectrum 45W arrived

Full Spectrum 45W arrived

I ordered my Full Spectrum Laser last Monday, and it arrived 9 days later, shipped from Las Vegas to PA.

SUPPORT - I called once with a sales question, and once with a tech question before purchasing. Both times someone answered the phone within 2-5 rings, and helped me immediately (No press #1 for this, press #2 for that). I had emailed a sales rep with a question via their online web form, and received an answer 3 days later, not great, but at least they responded. I used their online chat for two other questions, and received responses fairly quickly (1-2 minutes).

I know there is a lot of support criticism out there, but I think they have really cleaned up their act in the last couple years. The majority of complaints I saw were early 2014 and prior. So far, support seems top notch.

SETUP - Before arrival, I had added a new 30AMP circuit for the laser, I installed a 4" dryer vent and exhaust fan, had a water bucket ready, and hooked up my air compressor. Once the laser arrived it took less than two hours to hook everything up and test the laser, including running 5 minutes away to get a larger air hose than the one I had previously purchased (need 1/2" id). The laser was still aligned after shipping, so I could begin engraving. First test came out great.

DOCUMENTATION - They give the wrong URL in their package insert as to where the manual is for download. I messaged support and had a reply in one minute as to the correct location, but they should update their package insert. The documentation is very detailed for setup, but it appeared at first that there was nothing on using the laser except "run the laser". It was not until the next day that I found that there is also a manual for RetinaEngrave that explains running the laser in detail. I wish they would have mentioned in the package insert that there are two manuals to download. So, the package insert is bad, but the documentation is good once you find it.

QUALITY - I am happy with the quality of my first engraving. I have CorelDraw files that I engraved and cut with a 45W Epilog Helix at a local college two years ago, and I will be duplicating some of this stuff to do a comparison of the Full Spectrum to the Epilog.
    Robin
    Bluebird Woodcrafts

Hi Robin, Thanks for posting your experience for us. Sometimes it's hard for some people to forgive when you've had a bad experience with a company, I've seen them reaching out on Reddit and I'm glad that they appear to be getting their "poop in a group"! (Yes Dave Sommers, you have permission to use that phrase! ;-)
    Please keep us posted on how things go for you and we look forward to seeing some of your work posted here when you get a chance!
    Universal PLS 6.120D 75 watt
    MutiCam Apex CNC 4'x8' w 6 bit TC.
    EnrRoute 6 Pro 3d software.
    Vision 2550 Rotary Engraver.

Cool

Hi Robin,
    I am considering the purchase of the same 45W FS Laser. I would really be interested in your Epilog comparisons after you get the chance to run them. Are you using an exhaust fan to pull smoke and fumes? Does the laser plus fans and pumps draw enough to warrant a 30A circuit or will a 20A (dedicated) be enough? Do you know if FS is currently running an online forum?
    Thanks,
    --Ollie

Blog Entries
    Thanks Paul!!!
    900x600 80watt EFR Tube laser from Liaocheng Ray Fine Tech LTD. Also a 900x600 2.5kw spindle CNC from Ray Fine. And my main tool, a well used and loved Jet 1642 Woodlathe with an outboard toolrest that helps me work from 36 inch diameters down to reallllllly tiny stuff.

Ollie being your pretty close to Rabbit laser have you taken a trip there and seen their lasers. For the cost of the FSL and shipping to your location for a few bucks more you could pick up a Rabbit and you'll be 10 times better off.
    First off you'll get a real 40 watt laser not a 45 that will only deliver 35 maybe , second the machine construction is way way better then an fsl and third you have support in you back yard. Just something to think about.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie Swoboda View Post
    Hi Robin,
    I am considering the purchase of the same 45W FS Laser. I would really be interested in your Epilog comparisons after you get the chance to run them. Are you using an exhaust fan to pull smoke and fumes? Does the laser plus fans and pumps draw enough to warrant a 30A circuit or will a 20A (dedicated) be enough? Do you know if FS is currently running an online forum?
    Thanks,
    --Ollie
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

6. Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    Ollie being your pretty close to Rabbit laser have you taken a trip there and seen their lasers. For the cost of the FSL and shipping to your location for a few bucks more you could pick up a Rabbit and you'll be 10 times better off.
    First off you'll get a real 40 watt laser not a 45 that will only deliver 35 maybe , second the machine construction is way way better then an fsl and third you have support in you back yard. Just something to think about.
    It depends on which 45 watt FSL they're talking about. The 45 watt P series the same class machine as the RL series though a smaller work area. Unless Ray changed what he's importing it's a G Weike just like the P series FSLs. The P series has the big tube and is a real 45 watt glass tube CO2 laser. The PSUs, stepper drivers, mechanical motion parts are identical or near identical. The thing that differentiates the two are the controllers and software. And of course the companies and support... And he's up near Ray it seems like a slam dunk.

If it's an H series FSL it's basically an overblown K40 with good electronics and software. Way different beast than the P or RL series.

As far as I know Ray gets his machines from King Rabbit and not Gweike.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Stevens-Vegas View Post
    It depends on which 45 watt FSL they're talking about. The 45 watt P series the same class machine as the RL series though a smaller work area. Unless Ray changed what he's importing it's a G Weike just like the P series FSLs. The P series has the big tube and is a real 45 watt glass tube CO2 laser. The PSUs, stepper drivers, mechanical motion parts are identical or near identical. The thing that differentiates the two are the controllers and software. And of course the companies and support... And he's up near Ray it seems like a slam dunk.

If it's an H series FSL it's basically an overblown K40 with good electronics and software. Way different beast than the P or RL series.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

I got mine from Automation Technologies and it is a Gweike unit. Ollie if you want to see it give me a PM I'm close.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Stevens-Vegas View Post

RabbitlaserUSA machines are from HX King Rabbit in China...not Weike
    You did what !

Unless they have switched, it is a G.Weike. I was looking to buy from FSL January 2015.
    The salesman told me that was who made them at that time. I believe they are still the
    same base units!

Right FSL may be the gweike

but Rabbit Laser USA imports his from HX King Rabbit in China...not Weike
    The Rabbits are a much more solid built machine. I've owned both so I have hands on knowledge as to how each is built. Ollie lives in Ohio so he can check both Rabbit and Auto tech and see the difference for him self.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Hoffman View Post
    Unless they have switched, it is a G.Weike. I was looking to buy from FSL January 2015.
    The salesman told me that was who made them at that time. I believe they are still the
    same base units!
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

12. Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    Right FSL may be the gweike

but Rabbit Laser USA imports his from HX King Rabbit in China...not Weike
    The Rabbits are a much more solid built machine. I've owned both so I have hands on knowledge as to how each is built. Ollie lives in Ohio so he can check both Rabbit and Auto tech and see the difference for him self.
    Thanks for the correction. My FSL is a GWeike with an FSL control board and software. The board is the only thing I can't get anywhere else. Even if Ollie wasn't in Ohio based on my experience and other's comments the Rabbit is a good bet.

13. Quote Originally Posted by Doug Hoffman View Post
    same base units!
    FSL had a different line when I saw them at CES this year. They still appear to be GWieke machines though not the LG series I have.

question on this 45 watt FSL .
    How is it they call this a 45 watt when the over all length of the fsl case is a tad over 37 inches and a 40 watt tube not 45 watt is almost 40 inches long. Do they have some secret way of getting 5 more watts of power in to a tube thats more then 3 inches shorter then needed ????
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    question on this 45 watt FSL .
    How is it they call this a 45 watt when the over all length of the fsl case is a tad over 37 inches and a 40 watt tube not 45 watt is almost 40 inches long. Do they have some secret way of getting 5 more watts of power in to a tube thats more then 3 inches shorter then needed ????
    I used to have a FSL Hobby 45W. I used a laser power meter and it tested at 29W (cooling water at 15C), but FSL support assured me that was incorrect.
    From what I can gather they enchant the tube before shipping it. That along with the fairy dust that you mix in with the cooling water produces a combined 45W.
    Vector Etch Laser Cutting & Engraving
    Brisbane, QLD, Australia

Trotec Speedy 360 120W
    Trotec Speedy 100 60W