Thread: Rabbit Hutch and Rabbit Run Design

Rabbit Hutch and Rabbit Run Design

Hello, my name's Ava. I'm relatively new to carpentry but me and my husband have bought some tools for our shed and have been practicing together, gradually working our way around the home, doing all those jobs that had been put off for years. Now we've just completed the kids bedroom, have made some drawers and a wardrobe for the little one, we now want to get a rabbit hutch and rabbit run built for the garden as she wants a couple of rabbits. I was wondering if anyone knows of any good designs or where I could look to find some? Never kept rabbits before so not sure how big a space they need. Guessing it depends a lot on thee breed.

I did the same about chicken hutch and run. I used google and spent a few days reading pros and cons of a bunch of different ones then decided what I wanted to do. Google is my fiend.

Go to Google and type in "Rabbit hutch plan" or something similar. I did and found dozens of plans. Here is one that looked good to me but I don't know anything about raising rabbits.

https://au.lifestyle.yahoo.com/bette...-rabbit-hutch/

The dimensions are in metric which might be a disadvantage to some people.

A couple tips. 2 X 4' 'Egg Crate' type fluorescent light covers make pretty good floors. the squares are about 1/2" X 1/2" which is big enough for droppings to go through. turn them upside down so the smooth side is up and sharp angled side is down. Some will use litter pans, others won't. They'll usually pick a favorite potty corner and that's where it'll be wet. Droppings may get scattered around the pan but they're usually pretty dry. We line the litter pans under the floors with newspaper.

Thanks for the tips, I have found some good plans on google, was just wondering what people here thought too. Been looking a bit more over the weekend and found some good plans for rabbit runs. I think we're going to just buy a shed but then build the hutch and run into it. I've seen some pictures of what others have done and its kind of what I'd pictured when we were both discussing it. We might buy a playhouse style shed where the kids can play but where the rabbit can also be housed, we're floating ideas around at the moment.

A couple more things to keep in mind. The odor of bunny piddle is strong, quite a bit of urea/nitrogen in it. Flies can also be an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Ada Maria Taffetta View Post
    Thanks for the tips, I have found some good plans on google, was just wondering what people here thought too. Been looking a bit more over the weekend and found some good plans for rabbit runs. I think we're going to just buy a shed but then build the hutch and run into it. I've seen some pictures of what others have done and its kind of what I'd pictured when we were both discussing it. We might find a playhouse style shed for sale where the kids can play but where the rabbit can also be housed, we're floating ideas around at the moment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    A couple more things to keep in mind. The odor of bunny piddle is strong, quite a bit of urea/nitrogen in it. Flies can also be an issue.
    Yeah I did think about the smell and flies being an issue. I have seen some larger sheds that are kind of split into two parts anyway, with two separate doors on the front. The sections would join together as standard but we could then adapt it ourselves anyway so that the animals are partitioned off, maybe have a hatch or door that you can open if you want to open it all up. Just a thought anyway, we might just end-up having two separate structures entirely.