Thread: How far will a stud finder detect metal???

How far will a stud finder detect metal???

Got a bit of a problem with the Set Rebar that is on the property line. Need to find it's exact location. I know where it is on the Survey paper, but need to find it on the property. How far down in the ground will a stud finder detect metal?

I think you'd be better off renting a metal detector (the kind the treasure hunters use). I was able to rent one for a few hours for $20 from local tool rental place when I needed to find a buried tank lid. You get false positives from any metallic junk or even some types of stones, but at least you can cover a wide area pretty quickly.

My experience with the typical stud finder is that it is marginal detecting metal even through 1/2 drywall.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul F Franklin View Post
    My experience with the typical stud finder is that it is marginal detecting metal even through 1/2 drywall.
    That's been my experience, also.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I have a metal detector for checking lumber, which it does very well. Think it would find a re-bar stake when I know exactly where it should be? Nope.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night