Thread: Shenhui laser is broken

Shenhui laser is broken

I don't remember exactly how long I've had this machine but it's been sitting here in the kitchen for...say...two years. I play with it rarely but I turned it on last night and it didn't work. The control power light switch doesn't light up nor does the control panel itself. The laser switch lights up but that's all. If anybody will help me figure out what's wrong I'll dance at your wedding.

I'll supply photos if needed....
    Hobby Laser - 1800 X 1300 dual tube Shenhui (100 and 80W)

Please No Dancing.. Your going to have to pull panels and look for fuses as start. If you don't have a multimeter invest in one. The spark method is not good for lasers.... First guess would be a power supply but we are not there yet!

OK all Panels off ,,, Pull all connectors you can find and reseat to make sure there is good contact. Retest start......

Mark
    In the Great Northwest!

Trotec Speedy C25, Newing-Hall 350 (AMC I & HPGL), NH-CG-30 (Carbide Cutter Sharpener)
    Sawgrass 400 Gel Ink Printer, CS5, 5/9/x6 CorelDraw

OK - will do that and report back. I poked around on them last night but didn't pull and reseat.

I do have a multimeter....
    Last edited by Wilbur Harris; 04-21-2016 at 2:40 PM.

OK, pulled and reseated all the connections I could find - same thing. I can't find any fuses anywhere and I looked pretty close. Are they regular ol' fuses or am I looking for the wrong thing? Nothing I saw looks like any fuse I'm familiar with....and I'm old.

Wilbur I would start checking for power at that switch and trace out the wires as you go. Have you checked the Emergency Stop button yet? If you don't have a clue as to what I am talking about your going to need to find someone in your neighborhood that understands electrical and how to read a meter.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Hard to believe there are no fuses. Can you take a few pictures of the boards/power supply so the forum can chime in to help you.

No Power at the control panel....no motion control or laser power... But power at the power light switch.

As a back yard mechanic I would follow the power with the multimeter until I had none...solder joint, fuse, wire, something.....

Mark
    In the Great Northwest!

Trotec Speedy C25, Newing-Hall 350 (AMC I & HPGL), NH-CG-30 (Carbide Cutter Sharpener)

Quote Originally Posted by Wilbur Harris View Post
    I can't find any fuses anywhere and I looked pretty close. Are they regular ol' fuses or am I looking for the wrong thing?
    They're not real obvious on my ULS...see if you have something like this where the power cord attaches:
    ULS Fuse.jpgULS Fuse 2.jpg
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Lee - that's exactly where the fuses were. On top of that, I found one of them blown. Additionally, I swapped fuses and believe that's the problem....the fuse didn't blow so I'm thinking I'm good to go as soon as I find the right fuse. Anybody know what the amperage is on that fuse?

Thanks a million...no...a gazillion!
    Last edited by Wilbur Harris; 04-21-2016 at 5:18 PM.

Typically the value of a fuse is stamped on the metal end caps.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Lee I guess the dance squad will be at your next wedding........
    Mark
    In the Great Northwest!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sipes View Post
    Yep, just say the word and I'll be there!

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Typically the value of a fuse is stamped on the metal end caps.
    Yes, I thought that too but I used a magnifying glass and couldn't see anything at all. "Johnlaser" says it's a 10-15amp fuse. I'll narrow it down to the correct amperage (sooner or later). I got a pack of 10 amp fuses from the local Ace Hardware and cobbled up a deal that works for the moment, If the 10 amp will carry the load, I'll get some 10s that will fit and all will be well.

Again, many thanks to all!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sipes View Post
    Already waaaay over my lifetime quota, thanks for asking.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.