Thread: Spanner wrench for watch question

Spanner wrench for watch question

I have a nice Wewood watch. I want to get a spanner wrench to replace the battery. The reviews on Amazon are all over the place. My watch has two small holes that are spaced 1" or 25.4 mm apart.

Does anyone have one that can be recommended?

Thanks
    Last edited by Raymond Fries; 04-21-2016 at 3:51 PM. Reason: typo
    Sometimes decisions from the heart are better than decisions from the brain.

Enjoy Life...

Blog Entries
    I bought a cheap Chinese one for my Tissot and it worked very well. I bought it on eBay.

Never used one but Harbor Freight has them.
    Search Harbor Freight for "Watch: and they will pop up.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

I purchased mine from Amazon and am absolutely positive it's Chinese. It doesn't take much for these to work.

Yes they are all Chinese. You can get them on ebay and they come with all the different size lugs. Sometimes you can just use a pair of needle nose pliers and span the 2 opposite holes and spin it off.
    John T.

H do you have a pair of snap ring pliers

Snap ring pliers might work but they'd have to open fairly wide. Additionally, you would need to keep a constant pressure in the right location while turning. The adjustable tool keeps the distance once it's set. You simply turn.

My watch does not have the notches that many of the tools have. There are two small holes ( less than 1/16") drilled 1" apart. I cannot tell from any picture of the tools if there are pins included that would work. I think I am going to try and make a little wrench with some piano wire for pins.

Thanks for all of the ideas.

Enjoy Life...

Are you talking something like this. Take a couple of pins and just spin it off. They are not that tight.

John T.

That is the design of mine. I just have different wood. Thanks for the tip. I did not think of trying that.

I really love the wooden watch.

Take Care...

Enjoy Life...

They are nice. May I ask do you actually wear it??? Some of those woods are toxic to some people. All laser cut. They do get pricey. Good luck with the watch.
    John T.

Yes I wear the watch. It is my favorite. It was a wonderful birthday gift.

Could not get the back off with pins. Will look for a slightly larger diameter pin. If all fails, guess a spanner wrench is in my future. I just cannot see spending $15 at the mall to have it changed for me.

Take Care...

Enjoy Life...

Blog Entries
    Over my years of accumulating tools this set was purchased:

Adustable Pin Spanners.jpg

For a one time use it wouldn't be difficult to fashion a tool to do the job.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    Check out any old established bicycle shop. They often have odd ball spanners in their tool accumulations.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)