Thread: Looking for Plans for Outdoor Furniture

Looking for Plans for Outdoor Furniture

I would like to build a set of furniture to be used in our back yard garden. Two chairs and a round table for eating summer meals. Everything I have found online is either clunky looking or designed for lounging rather than sitting at a table. Adirondack chairs for instance are great for reading the newspaper, but not useful for my purpose.
    Any leads on plans or books that have plans would be much appreciated. If one of the other forums would be a better location for this post please let me know. Thanks in advance for your help.

Are you set on chairs? What about a custom bench at table height? I've seen a lot of unique outdoor bench designs around.

Also, will these be sitting on grass, gravel, brick, etc? I think the reason you don't see a lot of traditional chairs in garden/outdoor settings is they don't do well on grass, or uneven surfaces.
    60W, Boss Laser 1630
    75W, Epilog Legend 24EX
    Jet Left Tilting table saw and Jet 18" Band saw
    Adobe Creative suite and Laserworks 8

Good questions, Keith.
    The area for the table and chairs is brick set in mortar. Even and solid.
    I prefer chairs because they will also be used for sitting around and relaxing. We have a table and chair set that has worked well for almost 20 years. I have rebuild and reinforced them a few times, but one of the chairs is getting ready to be composted. I'll try and post a picture of them as an example of what works for us.

Sounds to me like you have a couple of full scale prototypes. Any ole table plan can work with outdoor materials, but chairs are more fussy getting them comfortable. Just a thought.

Ron, this sounds like the perfect opportunity to come up with a custom "spring-loaded" leg design which would cause all the legs to make contact with uneven ground when body weight in put on. I envy you. Good luck and have fun.