Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sears Closing More Stores

I shop Kmart and Sears.
    Their shoppers card is great. They know they need to attract customers. They will add bonus points all the time. Just check and I now have $10 off $15 purchase on my card. About a month ago I was at the register checking out and had $28 on my shoppers card to use.
    We use to have a Sears Hardware store in town that I liked a lot but it closed down. I believe they were franchise stores and not company owned.
    The local Sears mall store inventory has gone way down to what it once was.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

I like my local Sears. I found they can order most major tool brands and parts at a competitive price, and often have good sales. They just can't deliver dependably. That they survived the consumer shift to online shopping, fast delivery and specialty marketing at all, is surprising. The old concept of department stores just doesn't work anymore. Now Kmart just got plain outmuscled by Wal-mart and their more aggressive marketing. I remember their predecessor, Kresge's, and then when the first Kmarts opened. They blew everyone away and people went there just for the entertainment. Times have changed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Rich...it depends on who you ask...the employees at Sears claim they bought K-Mart.....??????
    Neither really, The holding company was created by the group that bought Kmart out of bankruptcy and it(the holding company) then bought Sears. Sad deal anyway you figure it, though.

Disclaimer: I am a retired Sears employee.

I just went to my local Sears at the mall. It was pretty packed but I was only there to pick up a few parts for our vacuum cleaner. Had them ship it to the store so I could save the shipping cost. It sure didn't look like a place on the down-low....
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

I have a long and close history with Sears and am saddened by the demise. I remember when Sears controlled several businesses in the US almost without serious competition. Tires and batteries; major appliances, especially laundry equipment; lawn and garden equipment; and hardware. Sears held dominant market share in all those categories. Then they hired the ready to wear geniuses who downplayed their hardlines strengths in favor of womens clothes and ran them right into the ground.

I worked for a billion dollar supplier to Sears and called on Sears headquarters.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7