Thread: New Lathe Choices before importing to Lima, Peru

Question New Lathe Choices before importing to Lima, Peru

I'm going to buying a new lathe and I know that this subject has been beaten to death time and again. But, as I am going to be importing it to Lima, Peru I need to ask...

Where I live, it's 220v 60Hz power. From what I've been able to tell, for a good-solid True-Variable speed motor, you need 220v. However, my searches for 220v 60Hz lathes always comes up with 110v advertisements. Here in South America, there are no vendors for this type of wood-working equipment or tools, so it's all imported by the buyers.

I have purchased the Oneway Wolverine Sharpening Essentials 6 Piece Set, the Skew Grinding Jig, and the Raptor Set Up Tools because I fully understand the need to keep your tools sharp all the time. (I use to do a lot of wood carving) In time, I'll be getting the Hurricane 8" CBN Grinding Wheels. I've got a new 8" bench grinder, but it's not variable speed. I will be on the lookout for one...

Anyway, while 'yes', I am new to turning per say, I already know that I'm going to be 'into it'. I've done some in the past and now I need to buy the equipment for several reasons.

I will be getting into turning a variety of things. I've been watching Captain Eddie Castelin and I like a lot of his projects, as well as Jerry Measimer, Tim Yoder, Thomas Anton Geurts, Frank Howarth, and a bunch of others. Which means I need a good lathe with a decent swing over the tool rest. But, it can't weigh a ton... there is a company out of Florida that will import it for me at $6.oo a kilo which is fare better than UPS, FedEx, USPS, and DHL. (Mainly because they handle it from Fl., through customs, to the front door.)

I'm looked at:
    Shop Fox W1836 Bench Top Wood Lathe $479-$565
    I'd like to ask if this is a good lathe. I've tried searching for reviews and there are only the reviews found on sellers websites, which I don't really trust. They can post anything they want on their websites.

NOVA 46300 Comet II 12 in. x 16-1/2 in $514+/-1st Q about this lathe: Have they resolved the bearing issue? I've seen several comments about people having problems with the bearing heating up and they just replace the lathe... which would be a big problem for me because of the import costs. This lathe would be $210, just in importing fees due to weight.
    2nd Q: I've also read about issues with the tool rest not locking down completely.... a few have had problems with it rocking a little. Is this still an issue?

So, basically around $500-$600 dollars would be the budget for the purchase of a lathe. Are there better lathes than the 2 above that have the same speed control and attributes? I'll have only one shot at this, so I can really use all the advice I can get...

Thnks in advance.
    Anything worth doing that requires cutting down a tree, deserves doing it right the first time.

I have been searching for you. Neither of these lathes are 220V. I wonder if you could get a Vicmark lathe from Australia shipped to Peru?
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

So you have 220 volts 60 Hz, and you want to run 110 volt 60 Hz equipment? Buy a transformer. I did a quick google, and here's one rated for almost a horsepower for $35 -- http://www.220converters.com/store/p...ansformer.html I don't know the size of the motor on your little lathes, but I think they'd be a half horse or so.

A voltage converter isn't a problem. I'm asking about the current quality of the production of the NOVA 46300 Comet II 12 in. x 16-1/2 in and the the other lathe I was comparing. I have to get a good lathe the first time around... If there is another lathe I haven't seen or if someone has a better choice at today's prices....
    Anything worth doing that requires cutting down a tree, deserves doing it right the first time.

5. Quote Originally Posted by George Courson View Post
    A voltage converter isn't a problem. I'm asking about the current quality of the production of the NOVA 46300 Comet II 12 in. x 16-1/2 in and the the other lathe I was comparing. I have to get a good lathe the first time around... If there is another lathe I haven't seen or if someone has a better choice at today's prices....
    If I were going for that class lathe, I would go with the Jet 1221 VS, as in my opinion it is the cream of the current crop for the midi class lathes. It is a bit more expensive, but you are likely to get service availability and a longer warranty with them. Next, I would look at the Rikon 70-220 VSR which also has 1 hp motor. I have heard good reports about that lathe.

Each is a bit more than you mention wanting to spend, but the Rikon sells at Woodcraft for $649
    Rikon 70-220VSR Midi Lathe
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    ... Next, I would look at the Rikon 70-220 VSR which also has 1 hp motor. I have heard good reports about that lathe.

Each is a bit more than you mention wanting to spend, but the Rikon sells at Woodcraft for $649
    Rikon 70-220VSR Midi Lathe
    I did a search for reviews on the Rikon and this was the first set of Reviews I read. Not a good selling point. Yes, the Customer Service may be great and they are replacing stuff fast, but as I stated at the beginning, it's going to be imported to Lima, Peru.

While I do realize that there can be a 'bad batch' of components and such. I am leaning more towards Jet 1221 VS now, as I have been reading a lot about it. I downloaded the manual and even looked at the price range of the parts that people have had problems with. i.e. Bearings...Circuit Boards.

So, I guess the next question would be, can anyone tell me if the Tail Stock locking handle can be reversed to the other side?