Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lathe Tools

Quote Originally Posted by Thom Sturgill View Post
    Actually there are three....
    I stand corrected. I've never seen the red-handled set. My set is the middle set. Are the red ones any better (aside from a nifty red-colored handle)?

Aaron, they look to be very similar - same tools but a 'better' handle shape, a little thicker just below the ferrule. I think the tool selection is a bit different now on the middle set, but I am not sure on that. The red handled set was strongly recommended back then over either other set at the time I started - 2007.

PSIs Benjamin's Best are a small step up, Sorby and the other English brands a bigger step up but still M2 HSS. The quality of the heat treatments being a major differentiation.

D-Way, Thompson, Carter, and a few others using the newer steels are a much bigger step up, but bought unhandled are actually more affordable and due to the fact that they will last longer probably actually lower costing over the life span of the tool.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Blog Entries
    I would agree with Steve Mellott ,when i joined the local club they laughed a lot . But they were a big help and a very good group of friends .

Ok, I now am aware that the two gouges that I pictured ARE NOT bowl gouges.
    I am going to purchase a Thompson 1/2" bowl gouge (probably U flute).

Am I correct that Thompson gouges do not have handles? I'm not concerned about actually turning the handle, but I am worried about the proper way to install the blade into the handle.
    Do I make the hole tight or loose? Do I use epoxy, and if I do, should I drill a small hole somewhere for the air and epoxy to escape? If I like the size and shape of the handles I make, what is the easiest method of removing the handles of my HF tools, without damaging the tang? I always wondered this about paring chisel handles too. I'd love to make new handles for them also, but don't want to damage them. Some have tangs and others have sockets.

I may also buy another lower quality bowl gouge (Bens Best/Grizzly/Artsan/???) to experiment with different grinds. Which lower quality/inexpensive manufacturer makes a tool that is still usable?

Jim, in response to your question:

"Do I make the hole tight or loose? Do I use epoxy, and if I do, should I drill a small hole somewhere for the air and epoxy to escape? If I like the size and shape of the handles I make, what is the easiest method of removing the handles of my HF tools, without damaging the tang? I always wondered this about paring chisel handles too. I'd love to make new handles for them also, but don't want to damage them. Some have tangs and others have sockets."

For most of my homemade tools, I have a round cylinder at the end rather than a tang. So I drill a hole that is fairly close fitting but not particularly tight.

You are right to think about the issue of getting the air to escape as well as "hydraulic lock". Some people make the hole deeper to allow the air to compress. Some people will add a couple of decorative rings (perhaps also burning with a wire) and hide a small pressure release hole in the bottom of the ring. I typically take a dremel to the round shaft and slot it longitudinally to allow the air and excess epoxy to have a place to go.

When I was mounting a tanged tool, I probably did an overkill - - I used a pair of 3/4 inch boards and used a Dremel tool to allow room for the tang before I glued the two pieces together and before I turned it. There are obviously a lot of other ways to address this.

Removing a tanged tool from it's handle? I haven't done this but think that you could place the tool into open vice jaws (that is, not clamped tightly but instead quite loose), with the tool pointed down and the handle pointed upwards and split the handle lengthwise with a sharp wood chisel and hammer/mallet.

I always add a ferrule of either brass or copper (from a plumbing fitting) to my home made handles to help strengthen the end of the tool. Plus it looks more finished. I've never had a tool split.

Quote Originally Posted by Brice Rogers View Post
    I always add a ferrule of either brass or copper (from a plumbing fitting) to my home made handles to help strengthen the end of the tool. Plus it looks more finished. I've never had a tool split.
    I watched a video yesterday where the guy used a brass compression end that he used the threads to pull it down over the end of the new handle.
    He then turned the handle, using a spindle gouge to make the brass end round, as it was originally a hex-shaped fitting. I was amazed, as I hadn't thought about doing it like that. True, HSS Tool steel is harder than brass and shouldn't have a problem turning it.
    Anything worth doing that requires cutting down a tree, deserves doing it right the first time.

I purchased a set of 8 HF HSS lathe gouges, and although club members said they were not worth the $28 I paid on sale with 20% off coupon, I have been turning with them for over 4 years, and made about 50 objects so far. They hold a good sharp, but probably need more sharpening than high end tools. The 2 shown by the OP are not bowl gouges but spindle roughing gouges. My set had 2 skews, a round nose scraper, a parting tool, a beveled scraper, a spindle detail gouge, and the 2 SRG's. The box was the worst part of the package (the cheap latches broke with a few months); now a rubber inner tube band holds it closed for transporting. I have purchased 2 WoodRiver Bowl gouges (5/8" & 3/8"), and a couple of carbide tools. Now I am making tools as I need them. Someday when I win the lottery, I'll buy Thompsons or such. but for now I'm still making sawdust.
    Maker of Fine Kindling, and small metal chips on the floor.
    Embellishments to the Stars - or wannabees.

The small HF skew from the "HSS" set works well. The large one, a more useful size, doesn't cut well for more than a few seconds after sharpening. Nor does the large roughing gouge. The file test showed why.

I wonder if this is just my batch or if there all that way. So far no one is brave enough to try the file test and report the results.

Quote Originally Posted by Dane Riley View Post
    The small HF skew from the "HSS" set works well. The large one, a more useful size, doesn't cut well for more than a few seconds after sharpening. Nor does the large roughing gouge. The file test showed why.

I wonder if this is just my batch or if there all that way. So far no one is brave enough to try the file test and report the results.
    I haven't tried the file test, but I have the opposite results with the SRGs. My large SRG holds an edge quite well. The smaller one decidedly less so. I would imagine this is just poor consistency. I can't seem do do anything with my skews -- some of that is lack of skill on my part, but I'm rapidly starting to think the tools are hampering my ability to learn.

10. Buy one of Thompsons handles when you buy the tool. They are really good. When you are a more advanced turner you can turn your own handles. Join a turning club and ask for a mentor. One day in someone's shop will be worth its weight in gold. Practice turning with a pine 2 x2. Start with the spindle roughing gouge make it round. The progress to the spindle gouges and make some cuts with the parting too. REMEMBER "ABC" Anchor, bevel, cut. Turning is really fun but only if you do it safely. I mentor new turners all the time. They have become great friends and I am constantly learning from them also. Most of the folks I mentor are on the north side of 50. They are all becoming great turners. I am sure the Pittsburgh club has a mentorship program. Happy turning.

I dug out my small HF SRG (still almost 7\8" across) and it passes the file test across its entire length. Cuts pretty well when properly sharpened. So two useful tools ought of eight. Unfortunately the parting tool fails.

What's the FILE TEST? for hardness?
    Maker of Fine Kindling, and small metal chips on the floor.
    Embellishments to the Stars - or wannabees.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Greenbaum View Post
    What's the FILE TEST? for hardness?
    Yes. Credit Alan Lacer's Toolmaking video. A file wile not file properly hardened carbon steel, which is roughly the same hardness as a carbon steel file. HSS is even harder after hardening. Annealed (unhardened) steel is softer and can be filed.

Quote Originally Posted by Dane Riley View Post
    Yes. Credit Alan Lacer's Toolmaking video. A file wile not file properly hardened carbon steel, which is roughly the same hardness as a carbon steel file. HSS is even harder after hardening. Annealed (unhardened) steel is softer and can be filed.
    Yes, if the file "skitters" off the tool without taking out a "bite", the tool is very hard.

I think that this was probably figured out by blacksmiths a few thousand years ago. When I googled it, some attributed steel and hardening to the Han dynasty in 200 BC. There was another reference going back to the 13 century BC. So people figured out the file test or equivalent a long time ago.