Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Traveling Narrow Pin Scribe Blues (Dovetails and marking knives)

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Stanley, that is a very nice tip on the oil. I always wax my planes and fences, but never thought to oil chisel or plane blades. What oil do you use/recommend?

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Derek:

I was taught to use vegetable oil, but it goes rancid in a few weeks, so I have been using 5w synthetic motor oil for a long time now. The same oil pot is good for both lubing and rust-proofing tools, and the oil never hardens or goes bad. Mobile 1 has the best smell, IMO.

Mineral oil works very well too. I used to use Olde English lemon furniture polish, which is just light mineral oil with scent, but motor oil is cheaper and sticks to the tools better. I would avoid anything with silicon in it.

I use this same motor oil to lube the soles of my wooden planes too. At first I was concerned that a petroleum product might weaken, soften, or damage the wood, but it has not harmed them at all.

Perfect for saw blades, of course.

Stan
    Last edited by Stanley Covington; 04-23-2016 at 2:44 AM.

Stanley,
    I have tried searching for "oil pot" which gives me drug related accessories, "oil pot japanese woodworking" which gives me japanese tools, but no "oil pot".
    What is this "oil pot" you refer to?
    Picture please.
    Mike
    From the workshop under the staircase, Clinton Township, MI
    Semper Audere!

Blog Entries
    Tokoname yakimono?
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Paul Sellers uses something similar by stuffing rolled up cotton in a jar with 3in1 oil. Cotton wicks the oil and is always ready to use. I use it to wipe saws, plane sole, chisels, marking knives, etc. Keeps rust at bay as well and does not seem to mark wood.

Quote Originally Posted by mike holden View Post
    Stanley,
    I have tried searching for "oil pot" which gives me drug related accessories, "oil pot japanese woodworking" which gives me japanese tools, but no "oil pot".
    Picture please.
    Mike
    How true, "oil pot" definitely brings up some "interesting" references from our friend Google... I would be interested in what a Japanese oil pot looks like also..

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert LaPlaca View Post
    How true, "oil pot" definitely brings up some "interesting" references from our friend Google... I would be interested in what a Japanese oil pot looks like also..
    Trying the term > woodworking bench oil pot < found this:

https://holdfastwoodshop.com/

Of course there are a lot of superfluous hits.

The concept is a simple one of having a way to apply a chosen oil to one's tools. My oil pots are actually rags.

A search on > roubo bench oil pot < finds some more relevant images.

My recollection is this was a topic of discussion a few years ago with many benches having a swing out attachment for the purpose.

My recollection is Roy Underhill made a small box with a sliding lock cover for holding tallow to serve the same purpose as an oil pot.

Here is one from Lost Art Press:

https://blog.lostartpress.com/2015/1...bo-grease-box/

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 04-23-2016 at 3:02 PM. Reason: lost art press link
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I think wandering problems might possibly be caused by using a marking knife with too thin a blade. I would not consider using an Exacto type blade. I have no trouble just using a sharp pocket knife blade. I never ever have used a marking knife. I don't think they are necessary. If I did want one,I could easily just make one,using 1/16" x 1/2" wide W1 or 01 tool steel,beveled on 1 side.

Sometimes I just use a wide enough chisel to span the dovetail. Hold it against the rule,tilting a little towards it. give it a bonk to seat it into the wood.

To tell the truth,most of the time I just use a sharp pencil. That can wander away from the straight edge too.

I have made a few different suggestions. Hopefully one will suit you. The very best thing to do is keep developing your skill with tools.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Trying the term > woodworking bench oil pot < found this:

https://holdfastwoodshop.com/
    jtk
    Jim, could you provide a clue as to where oilpots appear on the site? The link leads to a home page and there's a fair amount of stuff there.

Quote Originally Posted by mike holden View Post
    Stanley,
    Picture please.
    Mike
    Mike:

I started a new thread "The Essential Oilpot."

Stan

Thanks guys. I have learned a great deal about a topic I never gave great thought to.

George, I wish I could take a private class with you.

Thank you, I read it and find it quite enlightening. Nothing new under the sun, FWW had an article on making one, and Kingshott describes one in his books.
    From the workshop under the staircase, Clinton Township, MI
    Semper Audere!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenore Epstein View Post
    Jim, could you provide a clue as to where oilpots appear on the site? The link leads to a home page and there's a fair amount of stuff there.
    Counting the top image of the holdfast, it is the fourth image down, just past the drawer of chisels. If your browser has a find command, search on > grease <. There are two uses of the word on the page and the second one is the grease pot/drawer. I have seen reference to others that are attached to the bottom of a bench to swing in an out for use.

In this case it is just a small drawer with some wax inside.

Stanley posted a very good piece on his oil pot.

It is one of those accessories that everyone who uses one tends to provide their own in their own way.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)