Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thumbs up to Lie-Nielson

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    A number of years ago now I purchased the LN #51 shooting plane. I once said to Tom that if he made one, I'd buy it. Well it arrived with his signature. I did not think more about this since I have the Anniversary #4 1/2, which is also signed. Then someone pointed out to me that all other #51s were not signed. It was a really thoughtful touch. Thanks again, Tom.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    I love Lie Nielson, this is a cool story!

+1
    I saw LN raves and bought a 4 1/2 on a massive departure from my Tim 'The Tool Man' (MORE POWER!!) path thru life. Out of the box, it was perfect. ...Even my boss pledged his troth (I let him touch it).

If I could just get it that sharp again, I would be sorely tempted to join the dark side. But for now, I am condemned to mere interloper status.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Hachet View Post
    Let me know how the 4 1/2 works out for you. Been thinking of adding one to the stable.
    It's working out well so far. It works great and is nice to look at. I have a Stanley 4 1/2 and a Millers Falls #10 (same as 4 1/2) that I've fettled the daylights out of and only got them to work well (as opposed to REALLY well), even with a Hock iron on the 4 1/2. I'm in the process of thinning the herd in a major way so I thought I'd let them go and take the plunge on a good wide smoother. I like the ability to close the mouth way down on this plane. I put a super fine edge on the iron and so far I've tested some maple, some oak, and some walnut and I'm able to take full width shavings that are pretty thin. More importantly, the resulting surface finish is really nice. I may invest in a high angle frog at some point so I can deal with swirly grain.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.