Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Turning pens between centers

I live in Union, Ohio, a few short steps north of Dayton.

Turning pens between centers

I want to get started turning pens and have a question. Is it possible to turn pens between centers using the standard bushings you get where you get your kits.
    I'm just thankful it held.

this might be a better question for the guys at
    I.A.P
    International association of penturners

My father has been making pens for several years. From looking over his shoulder, I've seen him make numerous different styles from numerous manufacturer's kits. Each style uses its own bushing sizes, tube sizes (and so, drill sizes and reams). There may be some small overlap in these size requirements between some of the more common kits, but I haven't seen it.

My cynical suspicion is that pen making is an excuse to get you to buy more and more tooling from a particular kit manufacturer.

....Hope this is some help, but Allen may have best idea?

It might just about be possible with one of the fatter style of pens with bushings that insert into the tubes, but even then that seems like a really hard way to do it. I can't see how that would work with the 7mm style.
    I'd just buy a mandrel. I like the ones that have a screw-thread to tighten the parts onto the rod. It's easy with a mandrel.
    Doug

I live in Union, Ohio, a few short steps north of Dayton.
    I was just concerned about the run out that so many say can be a problem with mandrels & live centers. I have a mandrel that seems to be OK with a live center point, but I just figured between centers would be way more accurate. Thanks for the advice.
    I'm just thankful it held.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tyree View Post
    I was just concerned about the run out that so many say can be a problem with mandrels & live centers. I have a mandrel that seems to be OK with a live center point, but I just figured between centers would be way more accurate. Thanks for the advice.
    Get the pen saver mandrel from Penn State Industries.......it is a live center that goes over the mandrel and applies pressure to the bushings, and not the mandrel itself. It will keep your mandrel from bending and keep it running true. cost about $15 when I got mine.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Jack, the answer to your question is, yes you can turn them that way. To get a better idea of how to go about doing it that way, you should check out the IAP pen turners site. There's more information on turning pens there, then any one person would want.
    Len

8. For 7mm pens I use a mandrel but for most others I turn between centers. On some of my bushings I drill out with a starter bit to fit between the dead center and live center better. Give it a shot.

+1 on the pen saver mandrel. Provided you mandrel is straight and has not been bent, there is virtually no way to get the mandrel off center..... Assuming the lathe is straight. Awesome investment. And cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Walter R Demeron View Post
    For 7mm pens I use a mandrel but for most others I turn between centers. On some of my bushings I drill out with a starter bit to fit between the dead center and live center better. Give it a shot.
    Not positive but this may be the same thing that Walter is saying. Chuck your bushings up in your lathe, preferable in a collet chuck, drill out the drive end with a 60* pilot drill. This gives a little more area for your 60* drive center to drive on i.e. more friction. Even with the 60* opening in the bushing it can still be used on a mandrel if you want but personally I only use BTC bushings made for that purpose. I have a metal lathe and make my own but a lot of pen component suppliers stock BTC bushings as well as the standard bushings. Most BTC bushings will not have a through hole.

+1 on checking out the IAP site especially their library, as someone above said, more pen turning info then you will ever want to know.

"The best things in life are not things."

Jack: I've done hundreds of pens using the stock bushings, but no mandrel. I use a dead/drive center in the headstock and a live center in the tail stock. As others have said, this won't work on slimlines since the bushing does not seat into the tube.

There are a couple of guys selling bushings with countersunk ends so that the centers seat better. I have a couple of sets of them and they are really nice, but pricey. The "stock" ones work fine if you are careful when you tighten the tailstock to ensure that you are running true and not binding a bit in the bushing bores.
    Last edited by Grant Wilkinson; 04-23-2016 at 11:28 AM.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

Jack I've done a lot of pens and always turn between centers. For the ones I do a lot of I have purchased the bushings made for this. Machined to tighter tolerances they have no wiggle once installed. For pens that I don't do enough of to warrant purchasing the special bushings I use the stock bushings. I have taken a center starting drill and drilled out the back so they fit the 60 deg. live and dead centers I use. I get my centers from Busy Bee tools here in Canada $7 for the regular and $10 for the carbide tipped one.
    Rick
    I support the Pens for Canadian Peacekeepers project

Jack, I turn pens between 60 degree centers. I do not use any bushings. I measure the pen ends with calipers and turn checking with calipers. I have mandrels, bunch of bushings and that pen saver thing but quit using them years ago and went to turning between centers.

As said, IAP is a great site for pen turner information.

"Brownsville", North Queensland, Australia.
    Jack go to Kurt Hertzog's web site http://kurthertzog.com/demos.htm Kurt has many articles available on pen turning and one specifically on turning between centers if I remember correctly. This one is probably what you are looking for http://kurthertzog.com/articles/wtd3...olumn21red.pdf

The mandrel saver is one of the handiest items for pen making.
    Less flex in the mandrel and therefore accurate results overall.
    They are relatively inexpensive and well worth the outlay.
    My wife and I had words, but I didn't get to use mine.