Thread: When I'm on hold, the audio is nearly always bad

Blog Entries

When I'm on hold, the audio is nearly always bad

Why is that? I've only encountered a few business that deliver pleasant sounding music or propaganda.

I like that there is something on the line. But it seems to me that providing something that sounds good would make being on hold less irritating.

It usually comes down to bandwidth, data compression, and audio clipping. There's an interesting discussion about it over on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/AskEngineer...d_so_terrible/
    ~Garth

Blog Entries
    Thanks Garth, your reply hit the spot. We live and learn. I guess I will stop griping.

That said, I remember a time when I worked extensively with ESRI (The Geographic Information Systems people). When they put me on hold it was a pleasure. I got big band music (usually Benny Goodman) with excellent fidelity. I was tempted sometimes to ask them to put me back on hold.

I noticed when cell phones went from analog to digital that hold music sounded horrible. I am pretty sure cell carriers were compressing voice data to use less bandwidth which made music sound terrible.

If you have a cell phone with HD Voice or voice over LTE hopefully the problem isn't quite so bad. I actually haven't noticed the bad music quality in some time either cell phone or the VOIP phone system at work.