Thread: Sharp tools

Blog Entries

Sharp tools

Today I had the distinct pleasure of turning with tools sharpened by a man who knew what he was doing. Went to an auction a few days ago where a carpenter was selling off all of his tools and machines. His lathe and band saw that I salivated over as I waited to the very end went over my budget real fast. But I was able to buy up most of his turning tools.
    So, today I stuck a piece of 5 year air dried walnut in my HF mini and started turning. I could not believe the difference between his hand sharpened tools and the few beat up Craftsman and HF hs steel tools I've been trying to keep sharp.
    Now I know for my self where it's really at.....the grinding bench.

You have discovered what I consider the one single factor that will most affect the turning experience. Without properly ground and sharpened tools, it is not possible to fully enjoy turning.

Our club hosted Alan Lacer and yesterday I spent a day with him. That man knows sharpening and metals. I've got a long way to go but I'm a little clearer on how to get there.

I'm waiting on the delivery of the wolverine sharpening jig that I recently imported to Peru. Freshly sharpened tools is probably the one thing that I have heard about in almost every good video I have watched on YouTube.

Even though I have a grinder, I haven't even tried to sharpen anything, as I'm sure that it would dim in comparison to tools sharpened on the Wolverine..... So I'll just abide my time until I can get it setup and get my tools sharpened correctly.
    Anything worth doing that requires cutting down a tree, deserves doing it right the first time.

"Brownsville", North Queensland, Australia.
    Once you have seen the light, you won't go back. A keen edge on good tool steel solves many of the turning problems we create.

I've spent the last couple of days turning glued up Celtic knot pen blanks to round so I can accurately drill the pen tube holes using my Vermec ER collet chucks. Glued up blanks take the edge of tools faster than plain wood and it is easy to feel the edge becomming dull. Like trying to cut with a butter knife!