Thread: Corbels in "pecky" cypress

Corbels in "pecky" cypress

These 16 corbels (18"L x 3.5"W 5.5" at volute x 5" H) are being done for a home in Fla. where cypress is being used for the cabinetry . In this case the architect called for pecky cypress meaning old growth that has been eaten by a fungus . Hence the holes.
    The Millwork company supplied the blocks and I cut them out . You do have to follow a sequence in cases like this because you need to have all the elevations drawn on the block and still be able to cut out the profiles and still keep all the reference lines while cutting.

Once cut out I used my duplicator and a mock corbel I carved in cherry ( harder wood) to rough in all the volutes .
    i then made vinyl patterns for the side profiles acting like stencils to accurately transfer my lines . I also make templates for depth gauges as all variations and steps on these corbels are in 3/32" increments .
    As you may see in the plan the rise of the volute is steps of 0,+1,+2 etc . as it rises.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The Woodworking Studio

Patterns , stencils and transferring lines.
    The Woodworking Studio

The worst of the lot was this one. An a few others. I have completed 4 that are gone so no pics but some of them were wild. This stuff is a challenge to carve. They will get a white pickle finish.
    The Woodworking Studio

Sighting down the side of the corbel you can see how the channel is not square but was spec'd for a radius that a #8 matches and here is seen splitting the line. The depth gauge is the required 3/32" and by the shadows you can see the radiused inner corners. A #5 flattens the bottom of the channel.
    The Woodworking Studio

While working on these corbels another architect submitted a sketch for a large corbel and since its up high he wants a led light in the lower volute so it shines down the wall and acts like a sconce if you will. Unfortunately his drawing left little to be desired so I redrew it and can still have the light housed within it.
    The Woodworking Studio