Thread: Thank you!

Thank you!

Hey everybody! This note is way overdue, but important for me to write. Lots new here. I retired last February after a fairly nasty case of pneumonia and decided my health was more important than the few extra dollars on my pension and SSI would be if I stuck it out to the end of Sept which was plan A.
    My turning over the yrs has been sporadic at best but I am back in the saddle and doing something everyday and intend to maintain that pace but also enjoy retirement with lil missie.
    I will not be coming back this way on a regular basis because I just want to work on the basics and I don't want to be buying and trying stuff I see you artiste's doing. Here's a heartfelt thank to all on this list in no particular order. Jeff has been my go to tool guy, John K has been super on the wood supply end as have many others (and a hoot on a side project we did a couple yrs back) Doc Keller awesome in support and shared some of his beautiful work with me as has Cathy S. Jerry Markental (from Tuscon) has been great and I have to tell you that I use the chuckplate he made A LOT. {also heads up Jerry, I have an aunt (in law) who lives about 30 miles so of Tuscon and will definitely see if we can get some caffeine, face time.} John Pratt for the opportunity to work with you @ Ft. Sill where my father is buried and the goodies plus wood from the witness tree.
    Kathy M, Jim Burr, Steve Schlumpf, Steve B. BernieW, Joe Meirhaeghe from Illinois (in my wife's family area), Russell J and others whose name escapes me at the time. Thank you, thank you, and thank you for helping me in every aspect of woodturning including choice of lathe, hollowing system, preferred tools etc. If you want to maintain contact and don't have my updated Email address, please PM me and I'd be glad to continue to share the adventure that way.
    ps to mods - This note is about every aspect of wood-turning, this community and the generosity of it's woodturners. I'll post a pick of my last piece if that will keep it here where it belongs. Pignut Hickory Native vase form, and a small sp maple orb. Best regards to all!
    Hickory NA form.JPGCl_form-2.jpgCl_form-1.jpg sorry, yes it's hollow!
    Last edited by Michael James; 04-23-2016 at 5:25 PM.

So, you finally retired!!! I am happy for you and it is long past due. You have survived more health issues over the years than most folks could bear and hope you are now able to enjoy yourself.

I dont post post much anymore, but just happened to stumble in at the right time. Great to hear from you MJ!

Hey MJ. Glad you have some thing to peruse during your retirement that you enjoy. To many healthy people I work with have nothing to look forward to except for spending all their time watching Oprah or Sports on TV. That's a very sad thought for me to see people waste way in their retirement after working for 30 to 40 plus yrs.
    I wish you well in your turning adventure & really enjoyed your visit when you came to visit me here in IL. Be sure to contact me when your back in my area & we'll get together again.
    Happy Turning.

Congrats on the retirement! My father-in-law retired about 5 years ago so he'd have time to do the things he didn't have time to do before. Mostly fishing and hunting. I think he's busier now than ever doing favors and projects for other people (and loving it)! I think it helps him stay young and keep his mind sharp. I just turned 40 and he can still out-work me, and I'm so thankful for that. I've seen too many men retire to their easy chair and just waste away and get old all of a sudden. Stay active, stay healthy, do the things you love to do and come back to share your work on occasion!

MJ - Congrats on your retirement! If you are like the rest of us, you'll find that you end up even busier than before retirement! Have fun turning and please stop in and post some of your work when you can! Have fun!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Yikes, I left out Nancy Laird who helped me get good deal on the Delta 46-460. Still the perfect lathe for my requirements and space.
    Thx, Nancy,
    mj