Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dern poison ivy!

My late husband was a MD, his advice for poison ivy was to first wash with lotion, THEN use soap. The lotion being an oily substance itself helped 'float' the ivy oil off of your body.

I favor the alcohol treatment as long as I'm not driving.

We live in an area where poison ivy thrives. We had one inch diameter vines growing up the pine trees with branches that reached out five or six feet looking for sun. Plus new shoots sprouting from the roots everywhere. It took three years of relentless pursuit to eradicate ninety percent of it. I can spot that evil vine from fifty paces.

Tench.
    Put it on before you get into it, like suntan lotion, and then rinse off and shower in a lukewarm stream.

Poison Ivy and Jewelweed, cause and cure. You'll usually find them growing very close to each other. (hint)

I used to get poison ivy really bad, and swell up like a tick, until I started keeping bees. (Bee stings used to make me swell up also. )I think that after so many years of repeated bee stings, my adrenal system just stopped going into overload at the least little thing. Now I just get a few raised welts from the 'demon weed".

Don't use brake cleaner, gasoline, MEK, lacquer thinner, or anything else like that. Osmotic pressure can cause that stuff to be absorbed into your system, and it's only bad!!
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 05-10-2016 at 5:43 AM.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Dave has my situation going on. I bid you good luck with your struggle. As for me, I said the heck with it and just stopped scratching. After about two days worth of my eyes twitching, alcohol treatments, and the tendency for my hands to migrate to affected areas by themselves, I conquered evil. But next time I will try the Technu if it gets bad.
    I was once a woodworker, I still am I'm just saying that I once was.

Chop your own wood, it will warm you twice. -Henry Ford

I just got a bit of exposure and went on the steroids. Old age is paying off; even though I caught it burning on the farm, the rash didn't itch much at all.