Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stanley 75 Bull Nose Rabbet Plane

I owned one of these, as well as the Veritas version. I hated them both. I couldn't get either to work 10% as well as a shoulder plane or a chisel did.

I may be sounding like sour grapes here, but that rather than bull'NOSE', I can think of a more appropriate 4-letter completion to this compound name.

Hey Lowell and others, Here is what I have. There is a weak 1/32 between the toe and the sole of my 75. To follow are some pictures if I can get them posted of how it can be used: The first pictures are trimming a plug, it's exaggerated normally would but cut a lot shorter. The rest are of trimming string inlay. Nothing fancy just done with scrap. There are many things this little ugly plane can be used as far as flush cutting
    Jim
    Attached Images Attached Images

Here is how I was shown to use the plane. Set the iron even with the sole. Ride the sole on your reference surface that you don't want to cut. Cot off the plug or Nub or small inlay like those berries people like to use with stringing. Helps in not damaging your finish surface. It was never ment to be a rabbet plane, maybe to clean up some nubs in a rabbet. It will fit in a small space like a 6x9 sash opening to clean it up some and it will register off the side so not to damage a rabbet. It was not ment to cut rabbets or any other joinery as a stand alone tool.
    Jim

Blog Entries
    I ordered a 1/2" Woodriver bent paring chisel today. I will not need the plane. If I ever need to cut off a plug or nub, I'll be able to do it with either tool.

The Stanley 75 will remain in it's place on the bench. I will not disturb it anymore. It is clean and sharp.

I will be able to clean up a rabbet though.

A few months ago I would agree with all the posters. Which recently made me wonder, why did a good coachmaker , who I bought my tools from, have two of these. They seemed terrible. So I fettled them properly.

Because these planes are quite simple, I think few people take the time or interest to fettle them like they would a fancy bench plane. I sharpened the blade (these blades are notoriously uneven on the face opposite to the bevel). Then I made sure the two castings met flush. Else when the screw is tightened, the casting pull skew. I also flattened the "cheapbreaker" as it was japanned on the mating surface. I cleaned up the blade bed.

The plane takes a full length shaving and is great for touching up edges as you really see what you are doing. I can cut endgrain with it as well as my blade beds circa 37-38 degrees.

I will try attach pics.IMAG2249.jpgIMAG2251.jpg
    Last edited by Sergey Petrov; 08-30-2016 at 5:06 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sergey Petrov View Post
    A few months ago I would agree with all the posters. Which recently made me wonder, why did a good coachmaker , who I bought my tools from, have two of these. They seemed terrible. So I fettled them properly.

Because these planes are quite simple, I think few people take the time or interest to fettle them like they would a fancy bench plane. [snip]
    My reason for getting rid of mine was because it was difficult at best to adjust for different thickness of shavings. It was also uncomfortable to use.

The same sized Stanley #90 bull nose rabbet plane is a much easier and more ergonomic plane to use.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    My reason for getting rid of mine was because it was difficult at best to adjust for different thickness of shavings. It was also uncomfortable to use.

The same sized Stanley #90 bull nose rabbet plane is a much easier and more ergonomic plane to use.

jtk
    Even the Stanley 90J, with no adjuster except your fingertips (often cheaper on the Auction Site than the 90), works better in my experience than the 75. There must have been a reason that this plane was produced for 94 years, but it sure escapes me. I own a Stanley 90J and a Record bullnose (don't ask me why I own two, I have no good answer), and I use the Stanley just about as often as the Record.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    This thread made me think of the Stanley 75s that have lured dollars from my pocket. I wasn't sure whether or not one still resided in one of my junk drawers.

Alas, it was sold. It was kept the longest because of it having slots on the sole. These seemed a natural for mounting something.

Attachment 336307

jtk
    Jim,
    You know we don't sell tools, we collect them.

Lowell

Quote Originally Posted by James Pallas View Post
    I'm no sure this is absolutely correct. This is how the use of the 75 was explained to me by an old timer years ago. It is not a rabbet plane, it is made for cleaning up humps. The front part of the sole or shoe is not made level with the sole of the plane. You set it for a very light cut the front will ride over a hump or up on it to keep the cut light so it doesn't dig in and just cuts the hump. I tried it and it does work for that and in that fashion. Mel's comment makes a lot of sense for sash Windows and such.
    Jim

Jim, this makes a lot of sense.

I have the MF version, and have never used it. I always intended to grind the front down level, but while I know that I'd never actually get around to it, now I know that I don't NEED to never actually get around to it!

Maybe it's good for small knots. - but even then, it would benefit greatly from a tougher blade.

Blog Entries
    Interesting conversation. I have used my Veritas version for years and never thought it unwieldy or unusable(?). Now I'll be questioning myself every time I use it .
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Sergey Petrov View Post
    Sergey, after fettling what alignment gap did you end up with between the sole and toe?

Franklin

I will agree that the 75 is not a tool for fine work but I've used one very successfully during floor repairs in an old house.
    It really helps if it's sharp. And it's nice to have a tool that you don't mind using on a floor that has seen over a hundred years of dirt ground into the gaps between the floor boards!

I have a Sweetheart era #75 that I bought at a flea market because it looked interesting and I have an affinity for Sweetheart era Stanley tools. I've never used it. As I recall, the bottom of the nose is not co-planar with the sole. It's slightly elevated above the work. This thread has me inspired to fettle the thing up and see if it's more than just an oddity.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Franklin,

Exactly what does "fettle" mean, anyway?

Don't you mean "fiddle" 'cause its "3 strokes, fiddle, 2 strokes, fiddle".

That's all I ever did with mine until I finally gave up I could never get the iron to stay put.

Someone said that it takes about a year for the subject of the 75 comes up again. In previous posts I explained how I was taught to use it. I have thought about how to better explain. Try to think of it as a small chisel plane. As best I know it was made to reference off of the main sole not the nose. If used in that fashion it works decently. Using it as a full blown rabbet plane or shoulder plane etc. is an effort in frustration.
    Jim